Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

my 07 X is at 57k, and I am wondering if it is okay to use a hand pumped fluid extractor instead of draining from the bottom. I plan to do the drain/fill/repeat process, that others have written about here.

The extractor has a graduated fluid chamber, so it will be easy to measure the amount of fluid removed.

Also, if done this way, would adding new synthetic ATF each time be a bad idea?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
It will be a long process doing it that way. Why don't you want to drain it?

I would go with the Subaru HP ATF. I thought that it was required from 07 on.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
If the existing ATF seems contaminated/discoloured/burnt etc., my normal approach would be first using a cheaper oil, drive with that for a while, and then change to the expensive synthetic stuff. Disclaimer: I am relatively new to Subarus and unaware of special requirements etc., ref. the post above.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
Why would you use an extractor? Just use the drain plug. That's what it's there for. Yes, you can mix synthetic and non-synthetic ATFs. Don't use a cheaper ATF to flush. Just drain and fill three times with the new ATF you've chosen to replace the old ATF (Subaru HP ATF is a good choice). Rather than wait until 30k, 60k, 90k, etc. to do three drain and fills, I do one drain and fill every 10k.

Mark

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
If the existing ATF seems contaminated/discoloured/burnt etc., my normal approach would be first using a cheaper oil, drive with that for a while, and then change to the expensive synthetic stuff. Disclaimer: I am relatively new to Subarus and unaware of special requirements etc., ref. the post above.
Doing a drain and fill doesn't change all the fluid, so all that cheap fluid will still be in there mixed with the old stuff too.

Just do a drain and fill with the ATF-HP. No need to overthink it or make it more difficult. The drain plug at the bottom is easy to get to, its the fill tube thats difficult (well at least on the turbo models, as its right below the intercooler).

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
I used to spray bottle head + extra tubing.. but I don't recommend that method.. it took a while!!!

I just did it because I wanted to take out just a smidgen of fluid and dripping at the bolt took too long. But either way, both ways come from the same spot so if you're doing a big amount, just drain it.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Oh jeez, just use the durn drain plug....

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
The torque converter will hold a good deal of the fluid, as will the valvebody and hoses taking the ATF from the transmission to the cooler. A flush will pressurize the whole system and force old out while replacing it with new. Just trying to suck it out will not be beneficial. Hence the drain/fill approach for those not willing to fork out cash for a flush.

·
Registered
2007 Forester X
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hiya' transmission maintenance enthusiasts,

an update to my fluid extractor, for the 4EAT question.

Nope, the Moller, hand pumped extractor does not have the suction to pull fluid from the 4EAT. Good thing its really, really, really easy to drain transmission fluid from the pan!

I drained as much old fluid as would drain, then, used the fluid extractor to suck the fluid from the drain pain - this enabled me to verify exactly how much fluid was removed. So, the extractor still served a valuable purpose.

I refilled the 4EAT with Mobile 1 synthetic, and my trusty Foz shifts like a dream. Over 2k miles on the clock since the fluid swap, and the 4EAT is as smooth and perfect as brand new. I have had good results with Mobile 1 synthetic - I use it in the engine, and differentials as well. Now, draining the 4EAT will be part of my regular maintenance routine, as it's very easy to do.

Much appreciation to those who chimed in above!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts