Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I check my oil when the car is warm, it's always at the low mark.

I let the car cool for over 12 hours and it goes back up to high.

When I bought the car it didn't do this. I blew the HG last fall. Had both sides machined, replaced spark plugs, O2 sensors, whole cooling system... lots of fun. Car's been running great, but it's been doing this ever since.

Huh?

PS: It's an '03 X Manual.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
How much time do you allow after shutting off the engine before you check the oil? Even if warmed up, it typically takes a little time for all of the oil to drain back into the oil pan.

·
Registered
03 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. So I recently waited 8+ hours (checked it before driving home from work). Said low.

Next morning (after sitting for roughly 12 hours), checked it: was back up to the high mark.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
I only trust oil level readings I take in the morning after the car has been sitting all night. I usually just take the dipstick out and look at it, but if I can't make sense out of what I see, I wipe it off and put it down for a few minutes and try again.

Do you know if someone put STP oil treatment in your oil the last time it was changed? 8 hours is a long time for it not to all collect in the sump. Do you run very long change intervals? It sounds like the oil is very viscous.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
How much oil do you put in at oil change, and does it do this right after the oil change?

If it were me, I'd top it off so the level looks right when the car is warm. Being 1/2 quart too high shouldn't damage anything, but running it low you are risking sucking in some air when cornering hard -- bye bearings.

Stan

·
Registered
03 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never used any oil treatments.

The bf does my oil for me every 3000 miles. He just puts in regular oil - whatever weight and amount the manual says.

stan_t: that's a good tip. I think I'll just top it off. As you said, better a little extra than low.

I guess I just think it's weird that this started happening after I blew and fixed the HG. I was just waiting for somebody to tell me the HG was repaired incorrectly: I have terrible luck with mechanics.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
Check it in the morning. Wipe the dipstick thoroughly..push it in slowly and read it only once. There have been 4,392 threads on this subject. :)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
The head gaskets are just that -- gaskets that go between heads and block. They should not affect oil level in any way. Most of your oil resides in the oil pan at the bottom of your engine. When your engine is running some of that oil gets sucked up and travels through all the oil passages inside the block, lubricating bearings and other good stuff. When you shut off the engine, gravity does it's thing and most of the oil drains back to the oil pan (some remains in the oil filter) -- this should not take very long.

It's possible that your bf under-fills the engine a bit, or you could be burning off some oil. Ask him how much oil he puts in when he changes the oil and filter, also ask him to check it and top it off as needed. I usually check my oil when filling up at a gas station, obviously the engine is warm at that time.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts