Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Had my forester named Florence about a month and a bit now so thought i should start a journal. She is an 06 XT with PPP pack. Mainly boring maintenance but hopefully I'll get a few mods in as well.

Here she is the day I got her home.
Untitled by Angus Rothnie, on Flickr

Bought Florence to replace my 330i touring and to tow the caravan we bought for family holidays. Here she is on towing duty

Previous owner had spent 1400 quid on a new clutch, diff and gearbox oil change so hopefully that means i won't have to do any of that for a good while now.

Have mainly been driving Florence so far. Have an intermittent P0420 fault that comes and goes. MOT is due in september so will see what they say then. Pretty sure the drop links are shot too but ill get under and check them soon. Also got a new thermostat to fit. Below temp gauge is about as high as it gets normal driving however first time towing the 'van it got right to the top before i managed to pull over :(. Heaters on full managed to keep it at a reasonable temp for the rest of the trip.

Some more shots from the first week of my ownership :)
_MG_6359 by Angus Rothnie, on Flickr
_MG_6362 by Angus Rothnie, on Flickr

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not been great at keeping this up to date. MOT came and went without an issue other than a wheel bearing being an advisory which I got sorted out at a local garage.
Florence has felt a little low on boost so i downloaded an app and bought a bluetooth OBDII reader to see what was going on and she is only boosting to 8psi (I think from memory) occasionally she will run spot on back to 12psi. I was occasionally being cheap and buying 95 ron fuel so have gone back to premium to see if it eventually clears.

With the COVID crisis I was sent to work from home and decided to make good use off having my CAD setup at home to draw up a new grill badge.
I then sent away to get it 3d printed.
Painted and then fitted onto the grill. I am pretty pleased with how its turned out although I think I may order a slightly larger one as I feel its a bit lost on the front end.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With working from home I also decided to remove the side skirts and have a look at the sills....first inspection was not great :( mainly surface rust at the moment so spent a while wire brushing and repainting. I have also cavity waxed the insides of them with dinitrol. I am looking into sending Florence down to a place in Glasgow to get her properly cleaned and undersealed as she is looking a tad rough underneath.

I also picked up a fibreglass STI rep scoop on eBay for £30 so repainted it to match the car too.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also picked up a cheapish mechanical boost gauge, I also bought a generic A-Pillar pod but the fit was rubbish so waiting for a small normal pod to arrive to fit it.
Also while doing the sills I've discovered it looks like I have an adjustable rear anti-roll bar. Possibly a whiteline.

As of now however I am having a battle with the DVLA after my car tax being stopped in Jan. It turns out they have been 'informed' that my car is no longer in use in the UK so has been removed from the tax database at the moment. Obviously this is not the case so I am now awaiting an investigation into what's happened and I can not use the car until this has been completed :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts