Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester GLS AWP
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spare wheel well keeps flooding (couple of inches depth) on an MY97 and i cant work out where its coming from.

Checked tail gate seals seem ok, Sunroof drains OK, RWW pipe intact. Rubber grommet in wheel well OK so wheres it coming from?

Not bee offroading/wading so not that.

Anyone got any ideas

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
There's probs a small rubber grommit/bung you can take out to let the water out. Not a solution to the problem but maybe leave it out permanently.

Not sure if your model is the same but I have a vent in the side wall that apparently is to allow pressure in the car to equalise. Am wondering if water is coming up under the wheel arch through this vent. Will see if I can post a pic.

That pipe in the first photo is related to the drain for the sunroof channel:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/436693-post34.html

·
Registered
1998 Forester GLS AWP
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think its that vent as has occured whilst car has been standing last week in rain(foresters not my commuting hack).

Bung has been removed this am and is staying out for now but thinkling may have to drill additional hole in lowest oart of well!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XP
33 Posts
Not sure if my experience applies since it was a different vehicle, but this happened to my old Legacy too. I finally decided the rubber grommets in the bottom of the well weren't sealing up tight, and water was being splashed in under pressure when driving in the rain.

I pulled the grommets out to let the water drain. Then I dried everything off good and cleaned up the edges of the holes before resealing the grommets with silicone bathtub caulk. Didn't see any more water after that.

·
Registered
1997 S/TB
245 Posts
Also worth checking the roof rail seals. If it's a jdm, they are likely to be split and can let water in.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
820 Posts
I would say the water was getting in through the rear light clusters..
Almost certainly this. I was having the same problem a year ago and took off the tail lights and found a seal loose. Pushed it back in and dry since.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XP
33 Posts
I'm not taking issue with any of the suggestions here, just curious. If water is leaking in around the tail light assemblies, do you see dampness around the edge or the floor of the cargo area?

·
Registered
120 Posts
First have you been able to confirm the water is not entering via Rr light cluster/ boot seal? If so then>
Try this to find the leak, lots of kitchen towel paper in the boot

Check after first drive /first rain look for where the paper is wet.

Can take time if the water enters under pressure , so sit in trunk whilst your assistant sprays water pours buckets over the roof tailgate, a nice way to spend Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
2003 Cross Sports
820 Posts
If you look at the last picture above- the small circular seal with the wire through it was the culprit in my leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts