1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a '99 forester s.

a few weeks ago i noticed that the check engine light would come up often whenever my tank was about half full or more. I went to a repair shop and they charged me 60$ just to read the code. Is that normal for a 2 min job?
Anyway, the OBD code is for the floating unit in the tank. The guy told me that subaru only sells floating units and tanks in pairs, and that I'd have to order and change both.
Today i went to another mechanic for an oil change and he told me that the other mechanic lied to me, that they actually sell the floating unit alone and if i got the car repaired by him, he would probably only need to change that, saving some bucks.

Did he tell the thruth or does he just want the two parts to be changed at his shop? ("Sorry, it looks like both will need to be changed...")

Thanks
Riccardo

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
First, most all chain autoparts stores will read the code for free. Do you have the actual CEL code that it displayed?

You can get the whole fuel assembly part together.

I believe its part number:
85111FC011
"Meter unit assembly-fuel, main"
For the main meter thats on the fuel pump side of the tank.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i didn't get the exact code because i didn't even ask, i was planning to get it fixed by them anyway. i guess i could ask, are they required to give it to me?

what do you mean by "You can get the whole fuel assembly part together."?
Does it mean that they don't sell the single parts and that the first mechanic was telling the thruth?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
no i didn't get the exact code because i didn't even ask, i was planning to get it fixed by them anyway. i guess i could ask, are they required to give it to me?

what do you mean by "You can get the whole fuel assembly part together."?
Does it mean that they don't sell the single parts and that the first mechanic was telling the thruth?
Sorry, I meant you can get just the floating fuel meter assembly -apart- from the tank.

·
Registered
01 Forester 5MT
136 Posts
i was planning to get it fixed by them

DO NOT let the first mechanic touch your car if he is trying to tell you that you need a new fuel tank and sending unit!

·
Registered
1999 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the second mechanic didn't just try to steal a customer... i guess i'll stop by him and let him read the code to see if i really just need the floating unit

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts