Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
???? Forester Will Update
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which Forester for me?

Hi all from Eastern Kansas...No its not all flat. I have joined up here to be a more informed Subaru guy. I am in the process of finding the right Forester for me. Unfortunatly it took 11 years for the Forester to appeal to me. Looking for used Forester under $15,000 under 60,000 miles been tough any suggestions? Do I need a turbo to have power in this car? Im used to two wheel drive trucks with roughly 250 HP. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:

to have the speed of a 250hp truck you might not need the turbo. But if you'd like to get your adrenaline flowing again, then the turbo is for you. The non-turbos are pretty peppy.
There are lots of options out there that meet your criteria, just keep your eyes open.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search! :cool:

To answer your question. Do you need a turbo, perhaps not, but if there's any chance you'll want one later on, do it now! :wink: I went from a Votec 4.3L V6 in the GMC S15 Jimmy to an '03 X (non-turbo) Forester & it felt a bit wimpy (to me). I'm in an '07 FSXT now & I still want a bit more power. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm totally into adrenaline which is what concerns me with a turbo. Speeding tickets are expensive for an ear to ear grin.

·
Administrator
39,535 Posts
It only takes a short burst to get the "juices" flowing & the turbo does that very nicely. :biggrin:

Seriously, if there's any chance you want or need the additional power of a turbo, get it now! There have been others that have regretted passing up a turbo. :wink:

BTW, I've never had a ticket in either one of my Foresters. Knock on wood! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so hard to find Xt's. People hold on to them I guess. Find alot of X's out there but the turbo car is few and seems to be too far away when the price is appealing.

·
Administrator
39,535 Posts
Just so hard to find Xt's. People hold on to them I guess. Find alot of X's out there but the turbo car is few and seems to be too far away when the price is appealing.
I am willing to wait for the right one though!
I looked for at least a year. I really wanted a low mile '04 XT (like the styling), but settles on an '07 last year (June/09) with 21K miles & paid more than I budgeted. :frown: It was a retirement gift to myself, so I figured, what the heck! :biggrin:

Good deals on XT's do pop up. If you're not on a tight time frame, you'll find one. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Hello. Go drive a couple non turbo models and see what you think. The NA engine is pretty fun as it is. You might find you like it just fine. Plus, you don't need premium fuel in an NA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know didn't think about premium fuel needed for the tubo. Guess I just assumed being a turbo car it would not have higher compression.

·
Administrator
39,535 Posts
Good to know didn't think about premium fuel needed for the tubo. Guess I just assumed being a turbo car it would not have higher compression.
Turbo engines have a lower compression ratio than a non-turbo. That's one of the problems when adding a turbo to a N/A (naturally-aspirated) engine. The higher compression ratio prevents running more than 6 psi of boost. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recall that turbo = lower compression theory.

But although the lower compression I never realized a higher octane fuel was needed.

I guess the boost of the turbo replaces that extra space of a lower compression engine with more fuel?

I need to take a little more time for sure on finding the right car. Premium fuel + less MPG = con for turbo.... Ahhh the power to cost ratio always stings like sweat in a fresh knuckle scrape.

·
Administrator
39,535 Posts
The N/A Forester has more than enough power for normal driving. Where I wanted more power was passing on a hill or when I was driving in the mountains (high elevation).

There are many reasons to go with an X or non-turbo Forester.
  • Easier to find for sale.
  • Lower cost.
  • Doesn't require premium fuel.
  • Better gas mileage.
  • No funny bump on the hood.
Bobby...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts