Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully, CalTrans was quick to rescue. My fellow Bay Area residents were none to happy following me as I drove 40 mph on the doughnut spare.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
S0 is CalTrans the Dept of Transportation? Do they just show up and help? That's a crappy place to get a flat. It looks like it all worked out good though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S0 is CalTrans the Dept of Transportation? Do they just show up and help? That's a crappy place to get a flat. It looks like it all worked out good though.
CalTrans is indeed the D.O.T and they takes care of the bridges and such. AAA isn't even allowed on the bridge - they call CalTrans. I was fortunate to have gotten the flat right at the toll both. There is about a 1/4 mile that bottle-necks into about 5 lanes and I was able to pull over on a shoulder in that 1/4 mile. Otherwise, I would have blocked a lane and thrown a wrench in the afternoon hundreds (if not thousands) of people. All told, I was delayed less than 45 minutes.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Well that's a pretty cool deal. I can imagine it being quite frightening to change a flat in that kind of traffic. Cheers to those guys for keeping people safe.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
You're lucky it happened near the toll booths! It would be scary to have this happen on the western span... there isn't even an emergency lane to pull over on, and people fly by at upwards of 60 mph. Even merging into traffic from the bridge onramp from Yerba Buena/Treasure Island alone isn't for the faint of heart... I'm thankful for having a turbo every time!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're lucky it happened near the toll booths! It would be scary to have this happen on the western span... there isn't even an emergency lane to pull over on, and people fly by at upwards of 60 mph. Even merging into traffic from the bridge onramp from Yerba Buena/Treasure Island alone isn't for the faint of heart... I'm thankful for having a turbo every time!
Wife said the same thing. As crappy as it is to get a flat on the bridge, it happened at the very best spot.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 5 speed
122 Posts
I was fortunate to have gotten the flat right at the toll both. There is about a 1/4 mile that bottle-necks into about 5 lanes and I was able to pull over on a shoulder in that 1/4 mile. Otherwise, I would have blocked a lane and thrown a wrench in the afternoon hundreds (if not thousands) of people.
your not kidding, a semi truck ran out of diesel on the bay bridge last week, .... Lets just say we talked to the toll booth lady for close to an hour

·
Registered
1985 GL SE Wagon 4WD
141 Posts
yeah lucky. driving a small 2009 Hyundai Accent is
not too much fun especially on the incline on the eastern span. that same day i went someone's Prius decided to break down on the western span. not cool to say the least...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good story. But how did you get the picture?
I made the wife get out of the car and as far away from it as possible. I figured it was far too likely that someone slam into the disabled car. I carry an emergency, reflective triangle that I set out but it's still better to play it safe. She took the photo with her camera phone and emailed it to her friends with the subject, "Just like a NASCAR pitstop, but on the Bay Bridge."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts