Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 FX looking to mate a (NEW) intermediate pipe to existing custom Axelback.

Received flange gasket from Rock Auto but deformity in axel-back will not mate properly. I did a pressure test with a shop vac and it leaks ever so slightly ( You could not tell with your naked eye but can feel the air come through.

(I cleaned both surfaces extremely well)

It seems a thicker gasket would fix this issue?????

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
What resonator (intermediate pipe, I assume) brand did you use?

I recently replaced my resonator and axle back muffler. Hangers were off some, and in my case, the problem was the donut and junction at the catalytic unit. Had a boat load of trouble getting things to be tight.

I got supposed stainless stuff from amazon from Northeastern Exhaust. Had china as origin when I got it. Was nice looking stuff generally. Too bad that front flange was off by 3/16" or so..... Hangers I bent around on and generally got them to line up.

I agree with @2.5x_sleeper suggestion as well.....

·
Super Moderator
35,217 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok So two gaskets was better. My dad had always told me to stay away from double gaskets but it looks like its going to work fine,

Still the inner OCD in me feels the slightest air moving through the shop vac test. I'll get some Gasket maker and seal her up!

Thanks ya'll I'll keep ya posted with results

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
BigOtuna
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing