Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us went 4x4ing yesterday, and after some strenuous uphill work our Forester began overheating quite badly. Air temperature wasn't particularly high, I'd say about 25 degrees celsius or so. Further investigation showed that there were flaky black pieces floating around in the radiator fluid. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? After cooling down, the black pieces seem to have disappeared, most likely sunk back to the bottom. I'd hazard a guess that the flaky pieces are some sort of metal peeling off somewhere?
Some insight on this would be much appreciated.
Car in question is a 2002 Forester XT with around 80'000km on the clock.

I should probably mention that we've had serious problems with this car once before, where a bunch of things needed to be replaced after seizing up completely, one of them being the water pump.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
They might be pieces of the head gasket...the OEM gaskets have a black surface coating and that might be failing. Are you losing coolant ?

·
Registered
2002 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not losing any coolant as far as I'm aware.

I'll find out exactly what was replaced when everything seized up last and post it here, but the timing belt can be added to that list as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts