Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT Touring Auto
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2012 Forester TX Touring, bought June 2019 w/ 70k miles on it. It has most bells and whistles you could ask for, so just starting out slowly with some cosmetic addons before starting with suspension/engine.

Done:
  • SUBARU Genuine C1010FG200 STI Shift Knob
  • Genuine Subaru SOA342L126 License Plate Frame
  • Infinity REF6522IX 6.5"
  • OEM E231SSC000 Hood Protector Kit
  • J101SSC000VW Obsidian Black Pearl - body side moulding
  • J1010SC100VW Obsidian Black Pearl - Sports grille
  • Rallyarmor Mudflaps MF11-UR-BLK/RD
  • Hella Horn kit from Subimods
  • Pedders springs #PED-804015
Upcoming:

Whiteline swaybars and end links

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics of the licence plate holder and shifter knob.

- I did put rubber bump pads on the bottom back of the holder since it only attaches on the top, keep it from scratching.
- the STI shifter knob I got on Amazon for about $75, which was much cheaper than any other site. It's weighted and has a really high quality feel.

- front speakers are in using Metra 82-8900 adapters and some high density foam tape to take care of any rattles.
- rear speakers CAN use 82-8900, however it's not perfect. Preferably use SAK032_55-1
- Metra 72-8104 adapters for the wiring
- front speakers are wired from the front and not through the door cut out. The foam tape provided enough clearance to put the wires in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I mean, there is little question if you should replace the stock speakers. Even with the stock head unit, the difference is night and day with frequency response. Just look at the driver magnet size, it's just silly. Rear stock speaker in picture.

---EDIT 7/1/19---
These speakers sound really really good. Being an audio engineer I'm hyper aware of fidelity and frequency response. The Infinitys sound full and balanced even on the stock head unit. Pretty good low end for what they are. They also a +3dB switch on the tweeter to help get the highs out through the door speaker covers. Useful for balancing out back to front highs if you have tweeter sails.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
- front hood protector E231SSC000
- side door guards J101SSC000VW

Install is easy for both. Door guards especially easy if you have good magnets to hold the templates on.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed SPT strut tower bar. Fitment was perfect, no mods, bolt on.

Description:SPT Front Strut Tower Brace
Part Number: SOA8431130

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speakers are in too. The Ininity REF6522IX sound really good. Decent bass for 6.5" cone.

Recommended adapters:
Back: SCOSCHE SASU651 / 2nd option: SAK032_55-1
Front: Metra 82-8900

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updated pic, with horns in and flaps on. BTW, anyone who';s getting the Hella horns...you will need to dremel part of the grille out around each horn to make it fit in it's best looking and "stock" location.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5XT Auto
136 Posts
@trajik78 Saw in your first build you went with Swift Springs but saw for this one in the upcoming you mentioned you're gonna go with Pedders. Were you not happy with the Swifts?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@trajik78 Saw in your first build you went with Swift Springs but saw for this one in the upcoming you mentioned you're gonna go with Pedders. Were you not happy with the Swifts?
I was happy with the performance of the Swift springs. Did add 1/2" butt spacers to get the rake situated. And the ones I had were the older ones which were a bit higher than the revised springs tat came out a while ago. The Pedders are just a bit lower without being crazy. Hoping they don't need butt spacers. (soz for the late response!)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did 4 corner brakes and rotors. Used Powerstop CRK6082 kit. These are "Geomet" coated to help with corrosion. Being up in NY, I'm hoping this helps with the salt.

The original brakes were ok stopping wise, but definitely felt uneven and rough. This kit is so much smoother. Rockauto had a good deal and then got a Powerstop rebate too. So paid $229.51 plus a $40 rebate.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Also changed brake fluid that was probably 80k old. Mavis did it for $75. Brakes feel slightly more responsive especially under hard braking.

Next is front control arm bushings. These things are notorious for wearing out. Hitting pot holes and big bumps it's noticeable that they need to be changed. Using this kit: Energy Suspension 19.3102R. Goodbye rubber hello polyurethane!

UPDATE

After calling shops and pricing out having the bushings pushed out of the existing lower control arms, it didn't make sense economically to do it. I bought a pair off of Rockauto which have all the bushings in them already and was much cheaper than paying for tons of labor.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pedders springs are on new KYB shocks. I ended up getting the whole strut assemblies since they come with new top hats and the other stuff that's good to replace. So I changed the springs myself, then had my local shop put them on and do an alignment. I was charge $350 cash price for those looking for a ballpark. I'm very happy with the drop height...not too low and still has enough give to make city driving bearable.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts