Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5x
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a problem with a small dent on my hood of my '09 Foz. I have no idea how it got there. It happened when I returned to my college town for a wedding and it either came from a rock on the highway (I don't remember hearing it) or we also parked the car at the local 'downtown' college bar scene the night before we noticed the ding.

The dent is about golfball size, but there are two noticable paint scratches, and it looks like the metal got scuffed a bit too. I want to take care of this before winter, but if I'm not a great do-it-yourselfer (i can do minor repairs, but have next-to-zero car painting skills) am I better off paying someone to do this for me? Where would I need to go to get someone that can match the paint?

I'll try and get a picture tomorrow when it's still light outside...

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
3,123 Posts
Look for a PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) guy in your local yellow pages.........this works wonders for the dent IF your specific dent is appropriate to this technique.

The scratches are another issue entirely but the dent might be the worst and most objectionable part.....

Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
2009 2.5x
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, on my wife's accord, her hood got a few dings that we didn't care for and now a few years later the front is to rusty for anything short of replacement. I'm hoping to keep any rust from forming.

·
Registered
2009 2.5x
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying to add a picture here...if it works, the two small scratches are in the center of the view. It's hard to see the dent with the flash, but it's not much bigger than the scratches in surface area. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'd love to know if the image changes any suggestions.

The subaru is a beautiful car, and I love the colors - I'd hate to not take care of this the right way.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah those scratches are minimal at worst. it would probably be easiest to touch them up with some touch-up paint since theres actually paint missing. whatever you do, TAKE YOUR TIME :)

·
Registered
2010 Forester
621 Posts
If it were mine, I'd do a Paintless Dent Removal on the dent (perhaps $100). I've had these guys do a few dents including a few not quite as bad as yours on my Boxster hood and they did great work. However, tell then that you do not want scratches on the underside either.
A little brush touchup and you're done. This is one of those areas that is often covered in dead bugs and most of us don't clean those off twice daily....meaning that we learn to tolerate it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
+1 for Paintless Dent Removal !!
+1 fortouch-up paint and yes do take your time and to it ASP!!
-

I would go get some :

2009 SUBARU FORESTER 3M CLEAR BRA PAINT PROTECTION FILM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts