Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a mishap at the dealer when my Forester 09 was serviced last month, I needed to get my front door repainted. They told me I could come get it this thursday, but when I visit the dealership to pick it up, I find it with the front door fixed, but now the back door is grounded and it seems they have rubbed a point almost in the centre of the door with some white substance.

I suspect they have damaged the back door and just decided to not tell me, but they claim that this is normal; that when you repaint one door, you will have to repaint the other door and also the side of the car.

My question is: Is this true or are they puling a fast one on me here? I'm starting to lose confidence with their ability to service my car here after having to bring it back four times in nine months now. That is more times than I had my Toyota Land Cruiser to the dealer during the whole three years I had it...

-KJ

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
When you do any paint work repair on a car say repainting a entire drivers front door. If you were to just paint the drivers door you create a hard line(hard color change) at the edges of the door where it meets the other non-painted body panels. So typical practice to blend this in is to also paint the rear portion of the front fender and feather the new paint out as you get to the middle/front of the front fender to blend it into the factory paint. The same is done on the front portion of the rear drivers side door, paint the leading edge and feather the paint out as you get to the middle/rear of the door to blend it in with the original color.

Even if the paint came from the same can, the same painter will never be able to match the color due to several variables. Color varies with how thick the paint is sprayed on. They way the paint lays on the surface changes with weather conditions(temperature, humidity.....). Thus the need to paint extra body panels to blend the repair work in with the original. Seriously be happy they blended it.

Jack's Paint Place Collision & Auto Body Repair Service Center

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply :)

I´ll give them the benfit of the doubt then. I must admit I was pretty sure they were pulling a fast one here because they had grounded the whole door and then used something that seemed to be a sort of filler on a specific point on the door.

Could be anything I guess. I´m no expert on this as you might understand.

-KJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts