Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I think I posted a couple days ago, some girl in a ford tapped into my rear bumper at a red light (she wasn't paying attention) and scuffed up and scratched the rear bumper. I got an estimate today from the dealer, $752 to replace the bumper cover and paint it. The other drivers insurance company estimated it $713 and gave me a check made out to me right on the spot.

Now the dilemma - should I fix it..or spend this newly found cash on something else ? iPad ? Sport Grill ? Rear sway bar ?

It would have been easier if I'd not be given the choice, but now that I've got one I find myself thinking..well it's really only a scratch..

Thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is if you do not fix it and you are involved in another accident to the rear most insurance companies will deduct the value of the previous crash damage, in this case $713.

I would find a smaller privately owned body shop to do it. The dealers labor rate is more then likely closer to $100hr +, many of the independent shops are around $65hr Considering this is primarily a labor item you could save a large chunk.

In the past I have had good success blending in the white scratches in the unpainted textured area with a blow torch using a tamed down flame, then hitting the whole area up with Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer or Mothers Back-To-Black.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Tuff one. I'd base my decision on where you live and how loud the scratch seems to scream at you.

If someone rear-ended me and I got a check, there is no way I would spend the money on getting the bumper fixed, not while I still lived in my city, not while I had to park in the street. I'd invest in something else until I was back in a garage or at the very least my very own driveway. Then, and only then, I'd get it fixed.

Now, if you have a driveway or garage, and you really aren't at risk of acquiring another blemish like that in a long while, I'd go ahead and get it fixed. Honestly, that's what the money is for. Maybe DIY for half the dough? Anyways, a scratch like yours would bug the s--t out of me. Heck, the scratches and door dings that I've accumulated in a year poke at me on a daily basis. :N_poke:

For sure, sooner or later you're gonna want to fix it, especially if you plan on keeping your foz for a while. If you don't care about the scratch, then forget about it! Chalk it up to a battle scar and get some toys. But at some point, you're gonna shell out the ducks anyway, right?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
It's a "bumper" so good chance it'll happen again. I've been in the same position a few times now and after a week or so I forgot about the little chips and scratches.

If you owe on your car I'd pay the loan down before I spent money on mods unless you got the 0% deal...

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
I say it depends on if you are the type of person who tries to keep the car immaculate. If you already have a few scratches on the car and don't mind the damage I say go nuts. You can always get a garage (as listed above) to do it for cheaper down the road.

By the way, here is a small list of items you can buy for $700:

- iPad
- 35 cases of BEER
- 70 movie tickets
- Subaru Sports Grill Kit, Front Underspoiler AND a Cargo Side Net!
- 1 week at HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE - 4 star resort in Jamaica
- a FREE pass to hit someones car bumper

All good options.

D.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Do the right thing man. Fix your Fozzie or she will not take care of you in the long run...they know...they are aware
Is this one of those things where if you talk negatively about your car in front of it, it breaks down the next day.

I have been there, it is true.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Is this one of those things where if you talk negatively about your car in front of it, it breaks down the next day.

I have been there, it is true.
Mine always crap out when I talk GOOD about them.

Had a 2004 Nissan Frontier. 75,000 miles and I was saying how bullet proof it was. Had issues surface the next week. :yell:

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
I'd say contact one of the local ding dentists or whatever they call them in your area. They're touch up experts that could probably fix this for $100-$200 or probably far less.

Then get yourself some toys like a skid plate, etc.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I read your post correctly, you took the money (check) that was offered to you by the other driver's insurance agent? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
Yes, the dealership and a local body shop prices are both quoted using the same system...a ton of collision shop use it. It's like the standard for estimating auto damage. The insurance companies are also plugged in and recognize it, and they use it as well. (CCC Pathways) That's why they can tell you to get it fixed anywhere you want, because they know aprx what it will cost. The price they'll pay can be changed if when they do the work they uncover additional damage. They just need to inspect the work and re-evaluate. The only delta between the quotes I got today was a couple bucks difference in labor rates (44 vs 46 per hour). Like the medical industry many providers will charge whatever the insurance company will pay, so my dealer will honor the price the insurance company estimated.
So yes, I take the check the other drivers insurance gives me after doing the estimate, take the car anywhere for repair, and either sign it over or deposit the check and pay. If the place I want to take it has a big delta in price, they insurance company just has to review the changes.

I'm leaning towards Tuned200s advice...buying the cover myself and having a shop paint it up for me and doing the remove/install at home - it looks like pretty much the same process as the front bumper and that wasn't that hard. Then I can show it was repaired, keep the old one "just in case" and have a couple bucks to spend on something.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Battle scars are the best.Mod time & move on...

joe r

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,784 Posts
Yes, the dealership and a local body shop prices are both quoted using the same system...a ton of collision shop use it. It's like the standard for estimating auto damage. The insurance companies are also plugged in and recognize it, and they use it as well. (CCC Pathways) That's why they can tell you to get it fixed anywhere you want, because they know aprx what it will cost. The price they'll pay can be changed if when they do the work they uncover additional damage. They just need to inspect the work and re-evaluate. The only delta between the quotes I got today was a couple bucks difference in labor rates (44 vs 46 per hour). Like the medical industry many providers will charge whatever the insurance company will pay, so my dealer will honor the price the insurance company estimated.
So yes, I take the check the other drivers insurance gives me after doing the estimate, take the car anywhere for repair, and either sign it over or deposit the check and pay. If the place I want to take it has a big delta in price, they insurance company just has to review the changes.

I'm leaning towards Tuned200s advice...buying the cover myself and having a shop paint it up for me and doing the remove/install at home - it looks like pretty much the same process as the front bumper and that wasn't that hard. Then I can show it was repaired, keep the old one "just in case" and have a couple bucks to spend on something.
I guess we're of different minds on this. When I'm in a accident & repairs are required, I "never" accept cash, I want my vehicle repaired to the condition it was in before the accident! Matter of fact, I use my own insurance company & let them collect from the other company. I figure that's why I pay them the big bucks. :wink:

It always make me kinda suspicious when they start waving moola around & have you sign a release! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
I say it depends on if you are the type of person who tries to keep the car immaculate. If you already have a few scratches on the car and don't mind the damage I say go nuts. You can always get a garage (as listed above) to do it for cheaper down the road.

By the way, here is a small list of items you can buy for $700:

- iPad
- 35 cases of BEER
- 70 movie tickets
- Subaru Sports Grill Kit, Front Underspoiler AND a Cargo Side Net!
- 1 week at HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE - 4 star resort in Jamaica
- a FREE pass to hit someones car bumper

All good options.

D.
Awesome! LOL:biggrin: Paybacks for the random door dents.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess we're of different minds on this. When I'm in a accident & repairs are required, I "never" accept cash, I want my vehicle repaired to the condition it was in before the accident! Matter of fact, I use my own insurance company & let them collect from the other company. I figure that's why I pay them the big bucks. :wink:

It always make me kinda suspicious when they start waving moola around & have you sign a release! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

If it were a "real" accident with serious damage, I'd certainly contact my insurance company. But in this case, it's a minor scratch up, and regardless of my wishes I'd still have to allow the insurance company to do an estimate so they can arrange payment. In addition they give you the option of getting it repaired anywhere you want, and once you choose a location the payment process is really transparent. Either way you sign over the check or cash it and pay with your preferred method. Just a note, you don't sign anything when you receive the check, and you don't accept or finalize anything until you sign off on the completed work.
Keep in even if you hit a tree and it's your fault, there's still the same process, a check is written and you sign it over to the body shop.. no difference here.

I got a price on the bumper cover, 219 plus shipping 26, will call the shop tomorrow and see what the cost is to paint it.
This will give me a chance to see what's inside the cover too !

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sport
74 Posts
Just an FYI. The estimate is usually for an aftermarket bumper which is of close quality to the OEM. To tell you the truth though, they fit like crap and will look like it too if you look at the fine details. Going through 2.5xsleepers route is the better route because you can request they use OEM factory parts. That is usually where they'll get you on the price (edit: I don't quite remember if it's mandatory on cars newer than 1yr old) .

IMO, I would look into a dentless repair shop first. It looks like your bumper is still in great shape. You'd be surprised on the magic those guys can do. You could pay them less than what you got from the check and get other things as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts