Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe that you have to buy an entirely new visor just to get the anchor...what a complete waste of money and resources! And Subaru tries to market themselves as environmentally responsible...HA! I fixed mine using a 5/16" flat washer and a 3/8" internal tooth locking washer - under $2 to fix! I made a video but this forum says I'm too new to post it, so search YouTube for: "Fix broken Subaru sun visor anchor/mount" and you'll find it. All the best!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,210 Posts
Not to start a fight or anything - but how did you (or the video poster) break the visor mount bracket to begin with?

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
171 Posts
They break super easily for that generation. I had mine fail there and inside the visor itself and had to get an entire new one. If you search, it’s a very common problem

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Bought a junkyard visor. It broke. So after doing some searching on the Internet I found this post with the video. I fixed mine with a similar method. Since the visor was busted I used my 80 El Camino visors in the meantime. One hole lined up but I had to drill a hole in the headliner and sheet metal to attach a second screw. I would think that if I was completely fed up with the Subaru visor then I'd be looking for a different design. The Camino one works with a slight mod with one mounting screw. I'm sure other visors would work also. What I noticed about the Camino visor is that it used a spring, a washer, and a push nut to hold the visor shaft to the bracket. I decided to emulate the Camino visor and modify the Subaru visor with the same style. First I ground down the broken plastic pieces down to where it was pretty level. I also exposed more of the metal shaft at the very end of the visor rod. I installed a spacer at the bottom, a spring that fit around the tapered part of the visor shaft, then added a washer, then the spring nut. When assembled, it looks like the Camino visor mount. Attached are some pics. The tan visor and bracket are from the Camino. I bought all the parts at my local Ace Hardware since they have a huge selection of washers, springs, and push nuts. Hope this works. If not, it's back to the drawing board. When I first assembled the Subaru visor I only had a washer below the spring. What i discovered was there wasn't enough friction and vertical support on the metal shaft so the visor tilted a little when installed. Adding the spacer increased the spring tension and gave the assembly more vertical support so the shaft is not loose when rotating or moving up and down since there is very little vertical movement of the shaft. I bought a spring and cut it in half to make two springs, one for each visor. All this work may be in vain if it doesn't stand the test of time and use.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
They break super easily for that generation. I had mine fail there and inside the visor itself and had to get an entire new one. If you search, it’s a very common problem
Very common problem. Happened on both sides of my '14 Forester. Until this post I was making due with a cable tie fix that did not hold for long. I just finished installing both washers but have yet to go out to my car and put it in. All the feedback is good. I am just concerned that I can angle in the washer into the opening.

Very common problem. Happened on both sides of my '14 Forester. Until this post I was making due with a cable tie fix that did not hold for long. I just finished installing both washers but have yet to go out to my car and put it in. All the feedback is good. I am just concerned that I can angle in the washer into the opening.
Update, I just put it in on the driver's side. It fits and holds. It is a bit loosey goosey, but does the job.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
I can't believe that you have to buy an entirely new visor just to get the anchor...what a complete waste of money and resources! And Subaru tries to market themselves as environmentally responsible...HA! I fixed mine using a 5/16" flat washer and a 3/8" internal tooth locking washer - under $2 to fix! I made a video but this forum says I'm too new to post it, so search YouTube for: "Fix broken Subaru sun visor anchor/mount" and you'll find it. All the best!

thanks for posting this. It does work. I wish I could insert some kind of spring in there to keep it up and tight. Now it stays in, but is kinda loosey-goosey.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Nice work! Spring and push nut are good additions

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,230 Posts
@Grahamrock please complete your "Public Profile - add your vehicle details!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts