Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Been a while since I posted last. Been busy enjoying my Forester! :D

Anyhow... I have a weird electrical issue.

After turning off my engine. Car in park, etc.. I get a series of five beeps that emanate from under the dash behind the glove box area.

The beeps are like quieter version of when I lock/unlock the doors via remote. Evenly spaced .. the five beeps start about 3 or 4 seconds after shut down and occur in a span of two to three seconds.

The car has been running fine. Had to jump it about a month ago after I left the lights on to run into the post office(5 minutes). It was beeping before that. I figured they may be a warning or side effect of a weak battery.

I took the car to Sears today after work, had them test the battery, and it tested "bad". So I installed a new one.

Still beeping after engine shut down.

I do hear relays clicking and clonking after shutdown in the same area. Also seem to have water in the right front headlight.

Any ideas? I've searched but found nothing. I think the five beeps is some sort of error message/code.

2006 Forester 2.5l non-turbo automatic. Replaced the stock radio in 2006, otherwise stock except for my roof rack mod to keep my canoe from sliding around. :D

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,883 Posts
Not sure this will help, but it can't hurt!
  • Disconnect the battery ground wire.
  • Press on the brake pedal a few times to drain any residual power.
  • Reconnect the battery ground wire.
Yes, this is the procedure to reset the ECM, but it can also reset a deviced that may have glitched when the battery died. When you go to start your Forester, turn to start, but don't start the engine for 10 seconds. this will give the ECM to restore & the engine should start easier. You will need to set the clock & the radio presets. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobby,

I'll give that a try. I wasn't super speedy changing the battery; but, was not sure it was disconnected long enough to "reset".

I agree, it could be something left over from before. I might take it somewhere and have them read the codes for me. Or just have my dealer check it out next time I take it in.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
50 Posts
"Replaced the stock radio in 2006"
Any chance its coming from the aftermarket HU?
My Pioneer has a 5 beep "Warning Chime" (programable to on or off) feature that reminds you to unattach the faceplate when the car is turned off

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Replaced the stock radio in 2006"
Any chance its coming from the aftermarket HU?
My Pioneer has a 5 beep "Warning Chime" (programable to on or off) feature that reminds you to unattach the faceplate when the car is turned off
Thanks! That was the "problem"!

Funny, my stereo never used to beep.. I must have inadvertently turned it on at some point.

My mind is at ease. :D

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,883 Posts
Funny... my Sony head unit alerts me every time I turn off the key. I just ignore it, since I only remove the faceplate when I'm parked in an iffy area. I do remember seeing where this feature can be turned off, but I believe it does default back if the battery is disconnected. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts