Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be fitting my Whiteline springs soon and the mechanic I go to says I may need to replace the thrust bearings... does anyone have a tech diagram pdf or a photo of these (when related to suspension and not the clutch!) so I can see what he's talking about? :icon_idea:

I'm pretty sure my top hats are in good shape, but he's had a lot of experience with scoobies and say that these bearings will almost certainly need done at the same time.

Any help would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok... I dug a little and translated better (he's French after all) and found out what he really meant was what I believe are the top hats (semelles or soles in frog speak...). Some of them are fitted with bearings which is what added to the initial confusion.

And boy are these things are expensive little suckers... from 40 to 99 euros a piece (some of them are fitted with bearings which is what added to the initial confusion).

Is it essential to change them at the same time as the springs if they're in ok shape?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,076 Posts
I ran the Control springs on my stock struts with the original tophats for at least 2 or 3 years with no issues at all. They are designed to work with the stock struts so unless your tophats are in bad shape I would say you don't need to replace them.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
If you don't have any issues/noises with the ones on the car now, just keep running them. I can't remember ever seeing a thread or post where someone had one go bad on a Subaru.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't have any issues/noises with the ones on the car now, just keep running them. I can't remember ever seeing a thread or post where someone had one go bad on a Subaru.
The rear end clunked a little last summer when I was on my 17"s, but that was more down to the rear ARB/ASB needing re-greased I think. I'm not aware of any steering "vagueness" either... I'll probably pop for some if necessary next year when I change the struts.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Can't see you'll need them, mine after 110K miles of pothole riddled Warwickshire are fine....

Simon

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
They can go bad just like any other bearings, but, unlike most bearing, they are subjected to little force and even less speed; so, unless they are majorly screwed up, replacement is not critical.

Just open the hood and pop open the dust caps: look (flashlight helps) for grease (at least some should be evident) or dirt (bad) ; if they (top hats) are out already, just rotate the bearing by hand (by a finger, actually).

BTW, only front top hats have bearings in them.

P.S. There might be an issue with the rubber of the top hats (now that would definitely need replacing), but it is extremely unlikely unless they've been subjected to a crash.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, only front top hats have bearings in them.
That bit was confusing me... thanks tau for all the tips on how to check them out. I've got the mechanic to go ahead and change the springs without changing the top hats at the moment (however, I've just found some very cheap KYB Excel-g's on fleabay... !)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just open the hood and pop open the dust caps: look (flashlight helps) for grease (at least some should be evident) or dirt (bad) ; if they (top hats) are out already, just rotate the bearing by hand (by a finger, actually).
I popped off the seals and it looks like new in there, shiny and clean grease (!)... so I'm hoping the spring swap will go smoothly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts