Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 stb
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got springs, struts and top mounts for the rear from nick b (thanks nick :biggrin:)
theyre originals to replace my dodgy rear setup, and im gonna have a go at it tomorrow.......
any pointers or tips before i crack on?
the springs arent on the struts etc,and i dont want to make any silly mistakes and lose my temper!:icon_redface:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
It's pretty straight forward really. Take your time and you should be fine. The toughest part is assembling the struts - realy helps if you have a pass through ratchet and T handle hex key - I'm assuming you have spring compressors. On the rears, you need to make sure that the top hat is correctly aligned with the lower mounting but other than that it's just: jack up the rear, undo the bolts on the strut, take it out, put the new one in and bolt it all back together again.

·
Registered
99 stb
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the top hat has an arrow on it, i take it you have that pointing to the outside of the car??

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
What do you have on there now?

do you have the SLS shocks and springs?

its fairly simple as long as you have the right tools. I have had to change the rear shocks twice now. The SLS was easy because the spring is so flimsey. but the KYB struts and springs were a little tough, they are much heavier and stronger.

heres a couple of tips:

There are 2 bolts that hold the lower part of the strut to the Hub. The TOP bolt may be a camber adjutment bolt. It might look like this:

http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/suspension/camber2.jpg

so make sure this bolt goes back in the top mounting point.

Be careful not to drop (or rest) the strut on the ABS sensor and wires

you may need to disconnect the brake lines if the shocks you have on there are original. alternatively...... (its a bit of a bodge!) cut the brake line bracket with a Jr Hacksaw to remove it from its mount. then just cable tie the brake line to the new shock.... this saves bleeding the brakes

when youre done drive around for a bit then measure from the centre of the hub to the bottom of the wheel arch. it should be equal on both sides (flat level ground + nothing in the boot) - I think it should be 17.5 inches as standard

hope this helps a little

Fraz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts