Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having now lost 5 X Yoko AT+II's to sidewall damage I've decided to bite the bullet; grind the callipers and fit :

Sirocco II 15x6”
http://www.speedywheels.com.au/alloy.htm

All Terrain T/A 21575R15
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com.au/index.php?a=tires.off_road_suv&name_copy=All-Terrain+TA+KO

I'll post pics next week when done but in the meantime here's the grinding shots. One when I started (then remembered to take a pic) and the other when I had finished grinding approx 1/4" off the body. I'll finish off with some paint when I'm sure the wheels will fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I am very curious to see how it turns out. I've used BFG A/Ts and Bridgestones A/T Revos on my Pathfinder and loved both- slight edge going to the Revos for being quieter and grippier in the rain, especially through rain puddles on the highway. For lotsa rocks, the BFG is slightly tougher from what the true offroaders tell me. Do post pics after you get done. Those tires will make a huge difference offroad and hardly get flats that the passenger tires get due to thicker treads and sidewalls.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Awesome mate! Let us know how it works out. Before you paint it, some pics from the side would be nice, to get a better idea of how much material you had to remove.

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All Done! :grin: First impressions are that the BFG's are a little noisier than the Yoko AT's.

Left Side

Front Wheel

Front Strut Clearance

Front Body Clearance

Rear Wheel

Rear Wheel Body Clearance

Rear Strut Clearance

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
VERY nice job!! Those A/Ts are somewhat noisy but an excellent All Terrain tire. The Bridgestone Revos I had were a bit quieter and awesome in the rain but the smallest size is 225/75/15. The Bridgestones are better in rocks and are generally preferred by hardcore offroaders. Each tire (Revos) is 31 lbs and has a 28.3 inch diameter.

If they made a 215/75/15, I may have given this mod some serious thought. Now you will not have to fear tire damage. Great pics too.

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After my weekend away with the Subie club I gotta say I'm really impressed with the BFG's. They stuck like glue on some very steep, loose rocky climbs, no chipping or sidewall problems and the good ballooning at 28 PSI kept the wheels protected as well.

I got these on the recommendation of another club member whose Dad has 80,000 klm (50,000 mls) of hard 4WD'ing incl a Simpson desert trip and not a single puncture and the tyres are just reaching end of life now!

They "whir" a little but it's not too intrusive. I thought I had a clearance problem on a few corners when I realized I could actually hear the tread biting in on the bend. A couple of times offroad, the chunky edges of the tyres (I guess) pulled the car back on line without me having to take any corrective action at all - most unusual.

Very happy so far! :grin:

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
MountainBiker said:
Before you paint it, some pics from the side would be nice, to get a better idea of how much material you had to remove.

There are a couple of triangular indentations on the callipers - if you grind down so they disappear you should be just about right. You dont need to grind all the way back to the cooling fins (as I did) depending on the actual wheel you select; I could have gotten away with approx 1.5" (35mm).

If you want to PM me with an email address I will post back the high res pics for you to look at.

Just after I started; you’ve got to grind out those triangular indentations.

Nearly done

Done

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
:drool:
damm u and all your great ideas!!
I'll tell the wife to yell at u when I do this............

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Kevin said:
There are a couple of triangular indentations on the callipers - if you grind down so they disappear you should be just about right. You dont need to grind all the way back to the cooling fins (as I did) depending on the actual wheel you select; I could have gotten away with approx 1.5" (35mm).

If you want to email me at [email protected] I will post back the high res pics for you to look at.
Hi res not needed, those pics show enough. I suspect different wheels have different clearances anyway.

What offset do your wheels have?

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Northwest Tan said:
Looks great.

But aren't you worried about catching a rock between the caliper and wheel?
I did think about that but I figure there's probably less chance with a smaller gap. Only time and distance will tell.:think:

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Discovered last weekend that this wheel / tyre combination does NOT fit in the wheel well. Fully deflated I can angle the wheel (rear down / front up) in the well and drop my drawer unit on top of it. So that works for me. This weekend I'll experiment with storing some stuff in the wheel well underneath the wheel and see if I can get it to sit level and still be able to lower the drawer system into position. (see http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=1591 )

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, finally got a pic of the wheel half-fitting into the wheel well. It has to be fully deflated to even get it in this far. With the OEM styro packing in place you "might" be able to get the cover on?

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kevin said:
I got these on the recommendation of another club member whose Dad has 80,000 klm (50,000 mls) of hard 4WD'ing incl a Simpson desert trip and not a single puncture and the tyres are just reaching end of life now!
Well - my BFG's got a puncture within the first couple of thousand klm! I guess no one else visited my relatives' farms as I did last week! ;-) At least it was minor and in-between the tread blocks not the sidewall. :smile:

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you're right DN - I want to have it out with him/her but it keeps going around in circles :lol:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts