Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just gotten through my first Chicago winter with a Forester. After buying it in Aug./2009, I feel I've had it long enough to make a couple observations.
It handled OK in the snow, but I was expecting it to be better. My previous vehicle, a 2003 Ford Escape, was much better in snow. Also, as many owners have commented, the audio system definitely lacks power. If you have windows/moonroof open, you have to have the volume up ALL THE WAY to hear it.
The Weather Tech mats I bought are well worth the money.
The center armrest is too small and the storage compartment on top of the dash is barely adequate.
Good engine response. For a 4 cylinder, it's got good pep. Gets good mileage.
Back seat room is indeed poor.
Generally, however, my wife and I like it. Seems like a good value overall.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X Manual
8 Posts
Like you, I expected much better handling in the snow from my Forester. It's a 2004 that I bought in August 2008. This past winter I mounted four real snow tires and got the handling that I'd expected. The tires made a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,589 Posts
Any disappointments with Subaru handling and moving in the snow to the limit of pushing snow begins and end with tires.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
21 Posts
So I've just gotten through my first Chicago winter with a Forester. After buying it in Aug./2009, I feel I've had it long enough to make a couple observations.
It handled OK in the snow, but I was expecting it to be better. My previous vehicle, a 2003 Ford Escape, was much better in snow. Also, as many owners have commented, the audio system definitely lacks power. If you have windows/moonroof open, you have to have the volume up ALL THE WAY to hear it.
The Weather Tech mats I bought are well worth the money.
The center armrest is too small and the storage compartment on top of the dash is barely adequate.
Good engine response. For a 4 cylinder, it's got good pep. Gets good mileage.
Back seat room is indeed poor.
Generally, however, my wife and I like it. Seems like a good value overall.
OP;
You must have an older model Forester.
I bought the 2010 primarily because it had more rear legroom than other SUV in that category..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After about 1 year, this vehicle has a lot of annoying vibrations/plastic on plastic squeaking. The aux compartment is useless. Like the engine and response but the interior seems really cheap.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
What kind of tires were you running for winter,please do not say factory ones?

joe r

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
After about 1 year, this vehicle has a lot of annoying vibrations/plastic on plastic squeaking. The aux compartment is useless. Like the engine and response but the interior seems really cheap.
It is a Forester, definitely not one of Subarus "high end" vehicles. The Foz is based off Subarus base model Impreza, a entry level car that starts at $17,495. Don't expect it to have rattle free high end interior.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
It is a Forester, definitely not one of Subarus "high end" vehicles. The Foz is based off Subarus base model Impreza, a entry level car that starts at $17,495. Don't expect it to have rattle free high end interior.
My civic had a better interior no rattles lol ;). But I been hearing that's gone with the newer models so I guess all makers try to save some $

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I took the advice from the folks here and put on 4 Hankook iPike snow tires. The recent blizzard was a good test for them. Great on braking (the antilock brakes never get activated now). Cornering not as good as I hoped but still better than all-seasons. Overall, I'd say it was worth the investment.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,740 Posts
So I took the advice from the folks here and put on 4 Hankook iPike snow tires. The recent blizzard was a good test for them. Great on braking (the antilock brakes never get activated now). Cornering not as good as I hoped but still better than all-seasons. Overall, I'd say it was worth the investment.
I agree. I bought a set of General Altimax Arctics in Sept. and with all of the snow here, it was a worthwhile investment:Banane08:. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to spring, as my back can't take anymore shovelling:Banane36:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts