Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never did the oil change myself on the XT. Done them on all my previous cars. Will be doing my own this weekend, any tips.

The filter accesible from below or??? Might sound like a crazy question, but my TDI has the filter accessed from the top, took me like 15 minutes to figure out that sucker the first time.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Look here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16101#post16101

I have details and pics. If you can't see the pics you need to register on our site, it's free to do so though.

Note: You should change the crush washer each oil change. If this is the very first oil change on the car there will be a crush washer but it's hard to see because the oil pan was painted after the drain bolt was installed. Look here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3014

down the page for details on the crush washer.

To make things a lot easier you can get a drain valve and never have to deal with crush washers again :) :

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169

That you can get directly from them or check with Roo in the vendor section he stocks them too (and you support vendors that support this site)

One last thing, Prefill the oil filter with oil before installing it. It's easy and good for your motor minimizing dry firing time. It's nice that the filter is installed the way it is, so take advantage of this fact.

Good luck.

Oh yea welcome :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
When you take the oil drain plug out, apply force toward the oil pan. This keeps the oil from gushing out so that you don't loose the plug in the drain pan. It also keeps the oil off your hands.

That, and get a Fumoto valve for the next change.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peaty said:

Note: You should change the crush washer each oil change.

I can't stress this enough. I have been changing oil since Nixon was president and the FXT is the first car I've owned that leaks profusely if you don't change the washer, even after just one re-use. My driveway will never be the same :<( And, the only place I could find that had the right size was the dealer. Buy a bunch!

-silveroo

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Well maybe so on the FXT

I've reused the same crush washer about.. say.. 3 times now

Never has leaked, no leaks to talk about yet

Why have a I re-used the crush washer?

Idk.. I'm not that smart

I even had changed my oil one night and forgot to put the washer back on completley.. no leaks.. but I re-did it and put on the old crush washer again..

My next step.. for the next change, fumoto valve

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
silveroo said:
Peaty said:

Note: You should change the crush washer each oil change.

I can't stress this enough. I have been changing oil since Nixon was president and the FXT is the first car I've owned that leaks profusely if you don't change the washer, even after just one re-use. My driveway will never be the same :<( And, the only place I could find that had the right size was the dealer. Buy a bunch!

-silveroo
OK, I would never advise not to change the crush washer...."however"....;-)

My own personal experience 7 different Subarus over the last 12 years - I've reused it every time without a leak. :confused:

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
everything is at the front of the engine if your lazy like me, you dont have to jack it up (unlike my wifes civic)

Black98 said:
OK, I would never advise not to change the crush washer...."however"....;-)

My own personal experience 7 different Subarus over the last 12 years - I've reused it every time without a leak. :confused:
same here never changed it and never leaked,but now the forester gets a new one every oil change

·
Registered
431 Posts
I didn't change it once and it leaked on me. Granted, it was a very slow leak that was hardly noticeable, but it leaked. I got sick and tired of having to buy stupid gaskets from the dealer with every oil change so I bought a Fumoto Valve. Some of the best money I ever spent on the car. Now if I can find a way to have a quick release on the plastic sump guard. This way I can be really freakin' lazy. Look mom, a NO tools oil change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi All,

Did an ATF and Oil change on my Forester this afternoon. After draining and refilling both engine and ATF oil, I noticed a crush washer stuck in the opening of my floor pan. I've never changed the crush washer on the Forester after 12 oil changes and one ATF change. I've never had leakage at either drain bolt.

No leaks observed so far on either drain bolt. I'm going to put a new crush washer back on at the next service (or until I see leakage).

1)Does the ATF drain bolt have a crush washer or just the engine drain bolt?
2)Peaty mentioned a "fiber washer" that could be used in place of the crush washer from Subaru. I've searched but can't seem to find any mention of size or part number.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sports
183 Posts
Use Subaru genuwine filters and rings... ALWAYS!

Here are the part numbers:

Oil Filter- 15208AA100
Crush Ring- 11126AA000

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
Oil & filter threads always make for good reading on this forum! LOL!!!

I change the filter & oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months, which ever comes first. I figure changing the oil & filter is cheap insurance for a long lasting engine. All modern oils are detergent based, so the longer you use the oil, the more contaminants are suspened in the oil, hence the reason for not extending the oil change interval.

I use NAPA ProSelect 21334 oil filter & Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 Synthetic Blend.

My son's 1995 Neon Sport has never had an engine problem & is still running strong (lots of MODS!). The Neon was purchased new & handed down to my son when he learned to drive a couple years ago.

I have fumoto values installed with the added security clamp to prevent an accidental oil loss.

Bobby...

Attachments

·
Registered
08 FXT 5spd
1,114 Posts
Just did mine for the first time @3032 miles before I go to Autocross School this weekend....

1) Make sure you completely remove the plug in the oil basin that you bought to catch the oil or it will overflow while you flop around like a fish under the car trying to get off the the towel you are using to be between the cement and you so you can use it to sop up the oil that is running down the driveway.

2) By one of those valve things... the next time I do this I am installing it and never again bracing for the sudden rush of oil coming out of the plug.

3) I do not see the screws holding the plastic shield in place lasting more than 3 or 4 changes. What a pain...it really took me longer to take that panel off and put it back on than it did to drop the plug, let the oil drain out, change the filter and put the plug back in.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i
184 Posts
I think it's stupid to have to waste resources when they could have made it re-usable like the rest of the car manufacturer's out there.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
200 Posts
Do any of you know the size or number of the drain valve, Fumoto or other brand? I found a site that sells them but I have no idea of which one to get? Any advise!?!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
^^ All Subaru use the F-105 drain valve. Here's the link to the Fumoto site http://www.fumotousa.com/ Click on sizes & applications & you'll find the information you need.

BTW, I got mine on eBay...

Bobby...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
841 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts