Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

After having spent what feels like ages considering the old outback, the new legacy and soon to be released new outback (yeah we get it later here in EU) as well as the new forester, I finally decided to buy the forester.

This was the car that caught my attention to begin with so I guess I had an eye for it all the time. My previous car was the Lexus RX300 from 04/05 which I drove 180 000 km's. Having been spoiled by the lexus comfort and interior luxury design etc.. I really got second thoughts when I stepped into the forester the first time :)

I had told my self that this time I wanted a car half as expensive as the lexus but I still felt like the had made it too cheap inside. Once I started to look at the XE (moonroof, keyless entry and leather seats) it felt a little better but not much.

The outback and legacy offered more of a quality feeling (internal) than the forester and the new legacy also suddenly provided an option for all of the family to enjoy it since it had greater interior space. (I and my better half are pretty tall and we have a small kid as well). The old outback legacy barely had room for myself in the backseat (legwise) and I like to turn over the wheel to my spouse once we hit highway on a long run.

Soooooo I think the best car might be the new outback but it is a new model and I can wait a year before buying one, if it is the best =)

I had my eyes on a XE forester that had traveled 3000km during 3 months at a small dealer who used it himself most of the time. Problem was he didnt want to go down to my price and the extras, such as winter tires on alu rims and detachable hook (do you call it that?) cost a fortune..

This made me start to swing back to other options again.. even looked at other cars again like the barber tiguan and the very manly, capable and expensive freelander 2. I even looked at a diesel v70 2010 without awd.. until yesterday.

I stumble upon the ad to my new beauty, the dealer had written EX in the ad rather than XE. It had all I wanted and a little bit more.

MY 2010
Boxer Diesel
6MT
XE = moonroof, leather, keyless
plus all the XS stuff (i.e. hid 6cd changer 17" rims etc etc)

It also had something they called the adventure pack which I have never seen before. the silver colored thing in the front and back, a chromed bump list on the side, a protective thing underneath the car to prevent the oil sump and other stuff from breaking. It also had the gravel busters behind the wheels and what apeared to be better looking exhaust pipes. maybe some sort of extension.

3 months old and 7000kms and they asked 285 000 SEK (swedish krona) (roughly divide by 10 and you got euros). The car new would cost 330 000 without the adventure pack which probably land at about 15 000 excl mounting. But then again I wasnt looking for an adventure pack in the first place so I am calculating it as a cost.

When I called the dealer I got the lower car loan interest rate of 2.95% most use 3.95% and he threw in the best winter tires for the nordic region on 16" subaru alu rims for free.

A huge cost save compared to the new and the demo car I looked at before. So what's the catch you wonder? It is red.... I have never had a red car. I have never even considered it. But with the adventure pack it actually looked good (or not so bad as a red car usually does).

The only thing more I could have wished for was that subaru had a better stereo, nice interior and a non-electric steering servo (I think only EU got that).

On all my testruns I have been amazed over how well it handles and how it starts to shine once you put some pressure on it. How it give such a nice and smooth ride even on rough roads. I cant wait til I receive it, no more than a week I hope :)

Thanks for a great forum

Cheers
david

Oh and here is a link to one of the sales pics
http://img.skitch.com/20091010-pbgfup29237dsqsdw2dcds8igw.jpg

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,494 Posts
Nice fund buddy. Welcome to the board, and enjoy.

Those wheels look to be 17's. Paprika Red.. only red that I'd consider. Turbo. EXCELLENT.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! Thanks for posting a picture link, love the red color! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Very nice!

Once you've had it for a while, please give us your long term impressions of the diesel motor. There are many of us on the other side of the Atlantic who are anxiously awaiting an arrival that may never come, and we'd love to hear how that motor works out in the long run.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Welcome to the forum and we hope you visit often. Thanks for the overview on your Diesel Forester, still possibly a year before we see it in North America, at least those are the rumors. There is a sub-category in the Engine and Exhaust forum for the Diesel, but you'll have to adjust the Display Option to see the posts. Lot's of new info posted about the 09-10's that should relate to your model so look around and don't forget about looking for older posts. David you can also add your vehicle info to your Signature (especially the Diesel part:icon_biggrin:) that way any time you post that info will be visible to the members, even though you have it in the Public Profile, most won't go looking for it, Just go into your User CP, Edit Signature, and add the info. Enjoy your Forester, we hope you update us about your experiences with the Diesel.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome from Sunny Buffalo, Red is easier to see in the snow!
Haha thats true. Never thought of that! A perfect santa car. I actually need some good reasons to justify my actions.;) I never thought I would buy a red car before age 65. But now I am looking forward to it (pickup on saturday and a 500km ride home).

First snow came today but not sticking to the ground for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,904 Posts
Welcome! We North Americans will certainly be interested in the reports of how your diesel is working out. Nice blog.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Love the colour choice. Can't wait to hear about the diesel! Already told my girlfriend she better learn to shift a manual. I have an old 83 civic buried in my sister's barn...might have to spark her up and do some geer grinding....assuming hopefully of course that the Diesel makes her way to Canada! +)

Congrats on the fine ride...and I share your stereo woes! :(

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am actually pretty ok with the stereo. I feel it is ok with me. The previous car had a really good system but it probably was worse for the car than a bad gravel road.. not to mention my ears :)

The diesel is great fun. Lots of newton to play with :)

Today when doing a mixed run of 250km the meter showed 5.8l / 100km (40.55mpg). I did highway 45% at around 2000-2500rpm (120km/h) 30% city with red lights and fairly light traffic (mid day) 20% smaller asphalt roads with lots of turns and active driving and 5% light offroad (tractor trail sort of, 1-2nd gear only).

I got a number of stops haha (and I am not a bad manual driver). Coming into a turn in an intersection with too low speed for 3rd gear etc. I keep forgetting the engine characteristics. You can pull anything up a steep slope so long as you have hit 1800rpm below 1400rpm you will be dead in the water, if you dont slip (is that the right term).

Since it is a diesel I keep trying to get it to run below idle rpm ;)
I think it is because this boxer diesel is virtually vibration free. Since I dont get that diesel vibration that usually rattles the internal organs, my brain believe I am at a much higher rev than I actually am.

This is a really cool engine and I hope you can get it soon in north America.

·
Registered
2009 forester touring AT
49 Posts
eccentric, it is easy to lugg (drive at low rpm) a diesel because of what you said but be carefull not to get into the habit of lugging your diesel. Also oil for a diesel should be changed at at least 10,000km. Large diesel engines are different because they carry 20 liters of oil in the engine, yours probably has 5. The high compression on a diesel 20:1 is severe on the oil.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
are the low RPMs bad for the engine even if I am not applying a lot of gas? Just lingering on catching some speed rather than having to change gear.

To get my habits straight. What would you consider being the lowest RPM I should drive at? is it ok to brush at 1000 rpm?

Are you sure about the oil? The stated service interval is 15 000km and on the volvos I looked it was 30 000.

The boat diesel I have takes at least twice as much engine oil but I change it every year or if I run 100hours before 1 year has passed. But that one is under much more constant pressure than the car. (100 hours would be approx 7000km in the car)

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,098 Posts
Suvie, Boxer diesel is LOW compression. 16:1 or so. That's likely one of the reasons for the poor torque off-boost. Poor torque= low peak cylinder pressures= minimal chance of damage.

Now overfuelling to produce masses of torque would be bad, but you just can't do that in today's passenger-car diesels. Not just for emissions reasons, but also because you can drive the DualMass flywheel into it's resonance peak and damage it.

Oh and boxer diesel takes just under sis litres of oil at a fill. That's 25% more than (say) a VW TDI.

Learn a little about boxer diesel, and today's other quality automotive diesels; you'll need to re-think your opinion.

(I presume you drive diesel now?)

·
Registered
2009 forester touring AT
49 Posts
I dont drive a diesel now but I did drive diesel for 15 years, the last one was a Passat diesel and I sold it in 2003, it was a 1.9 liter turbo with 450,000km.

I dont think I need to re-tink my opinion, All I am saying, is that many diesel drivers tend to lugg the engine and that is as bad for a small diesel as it is for a small gas engine. Today's diesel need the rpm. A good practice is to run the engine at the rmp that gives the maximum torque band. On my passat it was around 1800 rmp to 3000 rpm.

As for the oil change interval, if you run your diesel for short distance each day, you need to change the oil more often that 15,000km. This only applys if you intend to keep the car to 400,000km +. If your diesel runs for 8 to 12 hrs a day like a commercia truck would, 15,000 km is probably OK.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XE Diesel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never run the engine for a long time below 1500rpm. Only briefly after braking or taking a curve, as I smoothly accelerate, rather than having to change gear. And I never apply a lot of gas at that stage. More like eco-driving :)

On the highway I tend to stick to 2000rpm where the engine is very silent and smooth yet provides enough power should I need to accelerate.

I do get the point that the more frequent the oil change the longer the engine will live. Even though the modern diesels seems to live pretty long still, when just following the service intervals.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts