Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sold my Freestyle(since I just have teens now) and went shopping for a Forester 2.5X on Friday(purchased a 2009 manual one owner vehicle with 120k for $6200). This will be my first Subaru experience and plan to buy a newer Forester in a year or two, should I like driving the Subie). I brought it home and my son and I took out the seats, and donut wheel and sucked a ton of California sand out of the vehicle. Since I am in Wisconsin, I was glad that I got a Forester without rust on the undercarriage. We will be shampooing the carpets and doing a finer detail in a day or two and the headlights have some oxidation on them so I need to sand those down and refurbish the lenses.

I have done my own maintenance on my cars since I was 16. My grandpa didn't want me hanging around teen boys so I learned a bit about auto maintenance on Fords, Buicks, Oldsmobiles. So here I am owning my first import. I am excited to learn the ins and outs of Subaru's.

I want to drive it more but am waiting for my insurance agent to get it covered. While I am impatiently waiting, I am here reading everything about everything.

I'm also waiting for approval from the facebook group too. I am in the market for a cargo liner, cargo cover, fancier rims etc.

And I am probably already in trouble as I am hanging out in the Mods section(because maybe I need a sports bar for the bumper) instead of the maintenance. And what's this fumoto valve I've been reading about. What kind of oil change sorcery is that?
Laura
Noob Forester Owner
Wisconsin

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
45 Posts
Wow, congratulations Laura.

Welcome to the forum.

Lots of luck with your new to you Subaru.

Look forward to seeing more of you here.

Joe

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,956 Posts
Be careful shampooing the so-called "carpets" which are more like thin felt or headliner material.
With a 2009, make sure that the timing belt has been changed. It was due at 105k miles.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
Welcome...as a new owner of a 2019 Sport, I can say you will probably love your new Forester. And if you love that one, you’ll probably want a new one, with the global platform and all the bells and whistles it comes with.

From what I’ve read about Fumoto valves, they allow you to drain oil with removing a drain plug. It’s basically a fancy spigot.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be careful shampooing the so-called "carpets" which are more like thin felt or headliner material.
With a 2009, make sure that the timing belt has been changed. It was due at 105k miles.
I don't see that the timing belt was changed(checked carfax). Just the serpentine at 72k miles. Thanks for the heads up, I will have that replaced ASAP and be more gentle on the carpets will our drill brush.
Laura

·
Registered
2009 Forester Manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome...as a new owner of a 2019 Sport, I can say you will probably love your new Forester. And if you love that one, you’ll probably want a new one, with the global platform and all the bells and whistles it comes with.

From what I’ve read about Fumoto valves, they allow you to drain oil with removing a drain plug. It’s basically a fancy spigot.
I am probably going to buy the Fumoto valve. My fiance doesn't care when I smell and look like a mechanic since I like to do my own maintenance. LOL. Needed that about 20 years ago.
I already think I want the bells and whistles. I'll save my cash for mods on the upgrade when I buy that.
Laura

·
Registered
2009 Forester Manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, congratulations Laura.

Welcome to the forum.

Lots of luck with your new to you Subaru.

Look forward to seeing more of you here.

Joe
Thanks for the warm welcome, Joe! I'll be looking to see photos of your new ride too!
Laura

Reactions: joeinid

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
I am probably going to buy the Fumoto valve. My fiance doesn't care when I smell and look like a mechanic since I like to do my own maintenance. LOL. Needed that about 20 years ago.
I already think I want the bells and whistles. I'll save my cash for mods on the upgrade when I buy that.
Laura
I was given a 2019 Sport as a loaner for a week while my 2019 Crosstrek was at the dealer for a paint issue. Less than one month later, Crosstrek was traded in for a blue pearl 2019 Sport, lol.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was given a 2019 Sport as a loaner for a week while my 2019 Crosstrek was at the dealer for a paint issue. Less than one month later, Crosstrek was traded in for a blue pearl 2019 Sport, lol.
Well, that answers one question. I was wondering about how the Crosstreks compare. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
93 Posts
Well, that answers one question. I was wondering about how the Crosstreks compare. LOL
I’ve had two Crosstreks, Premium trim. While I loved them, the many features that are standard on the Forester Sport and the extra room made it a no brainer. The only thing I miss is the handling of the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,956 Posts
I don't see that the timing belt was changed(checked carfax). Just the serpentine at 72k miles. Thanks for the heads up, I will have that replaced ASAP and be more gentle on the carpets will our drill brush.Laura
Look for a timing belt sticker in the engine compartment, usually on the underneath side of the hood. Many shops put a sticker there when they change the timing belt indicating the date and mileage. The EJ engine is an interference engine which means if the timing belt breaks you'll have internal engine damage.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Automatic
16 Posts
I sold my Freestyle(since I just have teens now) and went shopping for a Forester 2.5X on Friday(purchased a 2009 manual one owner vehicle with 120k for $6200). This will be my first Subaru experience and plan to buy a newer Forester in a year or two, should I like driving the Subie). I brought it home and my son and I took out the seats, and donut wheel and sucked a ton of California sand out of the vehicle. Since I am in Wisconsin, I was glad that I got a Forester without rust on the undercarriage. We will be shampooing the carpets and doing a finer detail in a day or two and the headlights have some oxidation on them so I need to sand those down and refurbish the lenses.

I have done my own maintenance on my cars since I was 16. My grandpa didn't want me hanging around teen boys so I learned a bit about auto maintenance on Fords, Buicks, Oldsmobiles. So here I am owning my first import. I am excited to learn the ins and outs of Subaru's.

I want to drive it more but am waiting for my insurance agent to get it covered. While I am impatiently waiting, I am here reading everything about everything.

I'm also waiting for approval from the facebook group too. I am in the market for a cargo liner, cargo cover, fancier rims etc.

And I am probably already in trouble as I am hanging out in the Mods section(because maybe I need a sports bar for the bumper) instead of the maintenance. And what's this fumoto valve I've been reading about. What kind of oil change sorcery is that?
Laura
Noob Forester Owner
Wisconsin

Congratulations on your recent purchase. As someone else has noted, be sure to change the timing belt around the 100,000 mile mark. At the same time, I would recommend that you also change the water pump and do the head gaskets.

With any luck all these items have been done prior to your purchase.

Then enjoy your purchase for many miles to come!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
[QUOTE="whohaven, post: 7570130, member: ] We will be shampooing the carpets and doing a finer detail in a day or two
I have done my own maintenance on my cars since I was 16.
[/QUOTE]
Does your finer detail include fluids(brakes ,diffs ,trans,motor),T,belt, valve adjustment... I may have left somethin g out...
Any service records?

·
Registered
2009 Forester Manual
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The vehicle had one owner, and I didn't receive any actual receipts, just some maintenance info listed on the carfax. I did look for stickers on service for the timing belt but no stickers are visible indicating timing belt change.
Service records, from carfax, indicate twice a year oil changes along with tire rotations. Serpentine belt changed at 72,315k(July 2014). Last transmission oil change, spark plugs, brake fluids flush/changed, valve covers gaskets, oil change, tire rotation at 89,528k(May 2016), oil change and body lubrication 110,920k (March 2018), oil change and tire rotation 119,785k (April 2019).

Sooo, basically I will be having the timing belt and head gaskets done by a mechanic. Current mileage is 120,200k, I called and it's $1900 plus tax for timing belt, water pump, 4 head gaskets and other shaft and pulleys at a shop that just sells and repairs subarus. I can also call my mechanic and he doesn't mind if I buy the parts and he just does the labor at $80/hr otherwise he orders parts from Napa.

I can change the transmission oil it looks a lot easier than the transmission and filter change on my old ford freestyle CVT. The brakes, tires are new and I just installed a new battery. After cleaning the headliner, I inadvertently hit the cargo light to ON and that drained the battery last night, RIP. The battery was from 9/2011 so it was due to go anyway. I bought a 84 month platinum Farm and Fleet battery, 640cca. I wanted to get fancy with an Optima AGM battery but the timing belt and head gaskets need to get changed first.

So yes, all the fluids need to get changed soon and priority is the timing belt and head gaskets. Also on the list, is a fuel filter change, tire alignment since the vehicle came with new tires and new brakes. I want to pull off the tires and check the rotors too since it wouldn't be unlike a small dealership to slap some new pads on the front and call it a day.
Laura

1 - 14 of 14 Posts