Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FXT Touring CVT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This '10 SF just keeps suprising me. The dash readout has progressivly been going up from 18 mpg when we first drove it off the lot. I got to admit, when I seen that first MPG with <20 miles on the Odometer, I was a little worried. Before we got home (bought in foothills, live in mountains) it was already registering 22 mpg. Our hopes going up!

Well, first week of ownership, and a little over 370 miles on the first tank and it only held a little over 13 gallons. Wasn't sure how accurate the fuel guage was, so had to test the water first. Our '95 Legacys' guage would drop to "E" way before it was even close to being empty.

Anyways, dash showed 29.1 mpg, :woohoo: (actual calculated was 28.3) on the very first tank full run through the engine. I can only imagine it getting better after the break-in period. We've yet to push the engine to any potential, but not babying it either. I want to allow this engine to properly seat itself. I've never had a new engine before to break-in, at least not factory built. So we'll see how it goes.

BTW, '10 Forester 2.5X 5MT with less than 400 miles on the odometer, and we live above 3000' elevation in the mountains.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,267 Posts
One tank really isn't enough for a trend. With careful driving in a suburban setting you might get 27. And on a trip at say 65 mpg you may get 30. If you flog it its not pretty.

·
Registered
2018 FXT Touring CVT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One tank really isn't enough for a trend. With careful driving in a suburban setting you might get 27.
Very true, but I must add that the break-in period of most vehicles do not reach full ecomony potential.

The SF is my wife's car, and she put all 370 miles of the first tank on it. We only have 5 spd vehicles and she has learned a lot from me teaching her the tricks to high MPG. Our other two cars are 3 cylinder Geo Metro's, which average 45 mpg in the winter months, and up to 52 mpg in the summer months (rural driving). Of course these mileages drop by 3-4 mpg at interstate speeds, but we seldom travel. Our last trip to Pigeon Forge, TN back in September, we could only muster 42 mpg out of the '92 Metro.

I never expect this Forester to come anywhere close to my Metro's, but I'm still tickled that it is coming close to 30 mpg. Tonight, I had to take the SF back to the dealership for an upholstry treatment for our warranty. By the time I got to the dealership, the readout was showing 32.5 mpg with about 60 miles on the new tank of fuel. I've got some snapshots, but I got to get to posting so I can be allowed to show 'em.

I seen a picture on here (SF.org) with ~33 mpg by someone. I'm determined to beat that with more than 100 miles on the tank. We'll see how it goes in the following weeks. The wife usually drives 400 miles a week, or one tank full each week. However you want to look at it. Its always nice to be able to only fill up once a week.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
...By the time I got to the dealership, the readout was showing 32.5 mpg with about 60 miles on the new tank of fuel. I've got some snapshots, but I got to get to posting so I can be allowed to show 'em....
What readout are you referring to?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts