Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just purchased a 2001 Forester S! I'm very excited to have a Subaru and will be searching the forums to get to know my car better. I am recently divorced from the 4x4 world, having had my beloved lifted 2000 Jeep Cherokee put down.

Some specs on my new Suby:
130K miles, manual trans, runs great (no signs of head gasket failure). 6 CD changer, tape deck, sunroof (holy crap that thing is huge!), cloth, heated seats/mirrors.

The quirks:
Needs a rear O2 sensor (looking for a part number and a good price...)
Clock in overhead console doesn't work
A tape is stuck in the tape deck

I'll take PMs if you know any fixes...
Other than that, glad to be here!

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
Hello! I just purchased a 2001 Forester S! I'm very excited to have a Subaru and will be searching the forums to get to know my car better. I am recently divorced from the 4x4 world, having had my beloved lifted 2000 Jeep Cherokee put down.

Some specs on my new Suby:
130K miles, manual trans, runs great (no signs of head gasket failure). 6 CD changer, tape deck, sunroof (holy crap that thing is huge!), cloth, heated seats/mirrors.

The quirks:
Needs a rear O2 sensor (looking for a part number and a good price...)
Clock in overhead console doesn't work
A tape is stuck in the tape deck

I'll take PMs if you know any fixes...
Other than that, glad to be here!

Welcome to the forum from another midwesternerr and congrats on the purchase!

I am unsure how to help you with your O2 sensor but, I will tell you that almost none of the early Forester clocks work, There was a defect and it likes to burn up connections. You can search and find the fix, buy a repaired one or, do what I did. I removed mine and mounted my Harman Kardon Drive + Play monitor there.

As for the tape deck - which one do you have? I have the OEM Clarion from my 2000 L. If that is the same one you have I will sell it to you for damn near pocket lint because I installed a Kenwood Excelon. :discomonkey:

Send me a PM if you need anything.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I found the clock repair thread, and I'm hoping that a removal and re-solder will get it working again. The stereo is the 6CD changer with tape deck. When I bought the car, they couldn't get the tape out. I'm not going to use the tape deck for anything other than to listen to my iPod, so it's not a huge deal. I just hope to be able to get the tape out!

I'm all new to Subys, but have a few diehard friends that have offered suggestions. Anything anyone can think of that I should be paying attention to in these early days of new car courtship?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, Bobby, I'll take a look. The code was just saying that the check engine light was due to the rear O2 sensor. I have no idea what code number it was--the salesman pulled the code and I forgot to ask what #. I'm wondering what the story is with the "non-fouler"...will I still need to clear the code? Where is the sensor on the exhaust (I haven't looked under it yet...just got it 2 days ago!), top or bottom?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bah humbug! I opened up the clock and found 2 spots that needed to be soldered...and one part has come off completely and can't be found. Anyone know where to find/order a replacement?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
62 Posts
HeyMN2001ForesterX! I just watched a documentary on Finland, MN on PBS Channel 2 the other night, would like to come up and visit sometime! I am about 50 percent Finnish heritage and am a big advocate of the saunu, got a wood burner in my backyard! The forum is awesome, welcome!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finland is a great little city! I know many of the people that work at the Finnish Heritage site (that's an easy task), and there's lots to do up here on the North Shore of Lake Superior! Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
136 Posts
Congratulations! I should be picking up my first one this week...definitely looking forward to it. :D

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, got the clock fixed after a $15 soldering iron purchase. The tape is STUCK in the deck, so I might need to find a new CD deck to put in there...do these things take double-sized decks, or what?

The CEL turned off on its own, so now I'm confused. Whatever, it *is* off, right?! :)

Took it on its first pedal-heavy gravel road ride, and MAN does it pull through those corners. I'm in love with the car!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,737 Posts
Welcome to the Subaru family. Keep on enjoying that new-to-you ride.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
20 Posts
Welcome from another newbie

:woohoo: I just bought my first Subaru also, a 2001 Forester S, very similar to your but without the sunroof. I love mine too, and wonder why I have'nt been driving one all along

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So...does anyone know where the best place to find replacement pads for the pedals would be? The brake and clutch pedals are nearly metal-only...so I'd love to get something on them soon. Is there an OEM supplier or good aftermarket options?

Thanks for any help....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts