Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just started my subie adventure!

found a second (more likely third or fourth) hand 1998 forester SF5 non turbo that had been used as a camper for $2800. That price includes the two man adventure kings roof rack tent!
Keen to start fixing her up as she needs a little TLC (brakes and suspension come to mind) but looking forward to the fun :) and looking forward to sharing it here (will probs make a build thread)
My build goals will be a daily overlander

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,797 Posts
@Rumble-Rumble welcome to the forum from Oregon!
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.

Note that your thread(s) could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
930 Posts
Welcome. Got any pics?

Especially of the roof tent. I thought I heard the SF5 roof bars were only rated for 70kg. That was for a UK model though. I've had about that weight in plywood sheets on my roof before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. Got any pics?

Especially of the roof tent. I thought I heard the SF5 roof bars were only rated for 70kg. That was for a UK model though. I've had about that weight in plywood sheets on my roof before.

Here she is :)

is that 70kgs in motion or stationary ? Most of the time the load rating is during motion, otherwise no one would be able to sleep in a roof top tent with most racks rated to 50-70kgs. I could be wrong though 🤔

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone,

Thought a little update was in order.
After a day of driving I noticed a “*** *** *** ***” rotational sound while driving and after closer inspection (taking off all 4 wheels on Jack’s) I realised my front left wheel bearing was totally destroyed.
Ended up getting new wheel bearing, both front rotors machined to their limits and new brake discs on all 4 corners.

next thing to update will probably be a general service, all filters and spark plugs.
THEN! Then I get to replaced my shocks and exhaust (potential leak)

any recommendations for shocks or exhausts for the sf5 non turbo ?

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
930 Posts

Here she is :)

is that 70kgs in motion or stationary ? Most of the time the load rating is during motion, otherwise no one would be able to sleep in a roof top tent with most racks rated to 50-70kgs. I could be wrong though 🤔
Looks good.

Sorry I don't know, can't even find where I saw it. I just remember thinking its not a lot. But it also could be different from country to country, just as the towing weight is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts