Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I am a 67 year old retired Bricklayer from Western PA. I finally decided $50,000 -$60,000 for a new pickup was just crazy so I traded my GMC Sierra on a 2017 Forester Limited in Jasmine Green. 20,000 miles on her, Certified Pre-owned. Runs great, 32.1 mpg. I have put 1600 miles on her so far and just love the ride. I have heard such great things over the years about the Forester and decided to get one. Now that I have it I'm a little worried . All I read about is oil consumption and head gaskets. I hope I got a good one, I really want to like this car. Wish me luck :)

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Welcome.

Diff fluid front and rear needs changing. Do not go to Jippy Lube!

A good ASE CERT'D independent shop ( or yourself)that knows to fill the front diff from the passenger side is what you want.

There is an identical fill plug on the driver side of the diff,but that fills the AT ?CVT ?

So they could easily drain the front diff , then add 75-90 GL5 gear oil to your trans(diff now EMPTY! "Have a nice day ,sir, Come again")..

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,695 Posts
Now that I have it I'm a little worried . All I read about is oil consumption and head gaskets. I hope I got a good one, I really want to like this car. Wish me luck :)
Oil consumption seems to be primarily in engines with manual transmissions, and head gaskets were more of a problem with the older EJ engines. Since you have an automatic CVT transmission and FB engine, you're unlikely to experience those two problems. 2017 owners tend to worry about acoustic windshields that crack and the longevity of their CVT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Makingforestergreatagain Thank you for the information. I called the dealership and they told me since it was Certified Pre Owned all that was taken care of when I bought the car at 21686 miles. I'm good to go until the next 6000 mile oil change.

@ForesterBill Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. The CVT seems to be working fine, no issues so far.

@2.5x_sleeper Thank You!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And in case you haven't heard, Subaru has extended the factory warranty on your CVT to 10 years or 100,000 miles.
That I didn't know, The dealership gave me a 60 day warranty and I have the remainder of the factory 7 year warranty, plus the limited lifetime engine warranty. So with the CVT warranty I should be pretty well covered. I hope I never have to use them. Its funny, I was looking at a 2017 Toyota 4 Runner with 30,000 miles and they would not give me any warranty at all, not even 30days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil consumption seems to be primarily in engines with manual transmissions, and head gaskets were more of a problem with the older EJ engines. Since you have an automatic CVT transmission and FB engine, you're unlikely to experience those two problems. 2017 owners tend to worry about acoustic windshields that crack and the longevity of their CVT.
You called that one right, windshield cracked today. I noticed driving into the sun the glass seems to have glitter in it. Lucky I have $100 deductible and don't have eyesight.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT
1,101 Posts
Its funny, I was looking at a 2017 Toyota 4 Runner with 30,000 miles and they would not give me any warranty at all, not even 30days.
And you wouldn’t have needed it either. The 4Runner is Toyota’s Japan built flagship. That vehicle is incredible in all regards.

That being said and risking sounding like “Debbie Downer” which isnt my intent, my friends 15” Legacy with 89k miles just went in for CVT failure.
At least its covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be sure to file a complaint about your windshield on the NHTSA website:

Let us know what replacement windshield you go with. I would definitely seek a non-Subaru windshield a even non-acoustic glass.
I had a new windshield installed yesterday. My Insurance Company set it up with an independent company they use. The windshield is a Fuyoa. Looked them up , their a Chinese company with 4 plants in the USA. Non accustic. The tech told me I will notice a difference in front speaker performance with the non accustic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took it for a ride. Cold (15) and windy here . I noticed wind noise but not bad. Didn't notice it before but I really didn't pay attention.The speakers were noticeably better. Clear and crisp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts