Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, just got a question for you guy's. im pretty close to getting my first oil change. now can i switch to synthetic oil right away? im planning to use a mobil 1 5w 30. any input guy's? thnaks and have a great monday:banana:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
You can definitely switch right now. Just FYI, Mobil 1 isn't entirely synthetic oil (very little actually), but it is decent if you stick to a good change interval. Is your engine turbocharged or N.A.?

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can definitely switch right now. Just FYI, Mobil 1 isn't entirely synthetic oil (very little actually), but it is decent if you stick to a good change interval. Is your engine turbocharged or N.A.?
thank you guroove, yes it is the turbo. any oil recomendation?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Mobil 1 is fine. I prefer the EP version and do 4,000 mile OCI. Its worked pretty well. The ep is a little pricier but a better oil. I decided on it because its a decent oil, average price, and readily available everywhere. I'd probably use german castrol if it was actually available here.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
I also use the EP. I had consumption issues with regular Mobil 1. It would consume about a quart every 3000 miles. With the EP, I don't see much consumption if any. I've been on a 3,000 mile change interval. These engines really beat on oil.

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mobil 1 is fine. I prefer the EP version and do 4,000 mile OCI. Its worked pretty well. The ep is a little pricier but a better oil. I decided on it because its a decent oil, average price, and readily available everywhere. I'd probably use german castrol if it was actually available here.
thanks very much funkymonkey1002:woohoo:

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also use the EP. I had consumption issues with regular Mobil 1. It would consume about a quart every 3000 miles. With the EP, I don't see much consumption if any. I've been on a 3,000 mile change interval. These engines really beat on oil.
thank you for the info guroove:woohoo:

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Mobil one ILSAC GF4 oils typically show very high engine wear in UOA. I would use their Euro spec oil if anything: M1 0w-40, and its usually available at WM. Shell rotella T5 semi-syn is a solid economical oil given the warranty requirement for the short OCI for you gals + guys in warranty.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Yay, another oil thread -- bring on the opinions :woohoo:

I changed the oil in my car before 1K for the first time. I would wait till at least 10K to switch to synthetic. I would not touch M1 with a 10 foot poll -- personal preference, many here run it with good results. I use Valvoline MaxLife or SynPower 5w30 and am very happy so far -- 52K on the car. I go 5K - 7K between oil changes and use the old black OEM filter -- I have a large stash of them.

Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts