Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had my car transform into a real sports utility grocery-getter. My mods before were a Helix uppipe, Invidia downpipe, and Bosal catback. I now have an STi Intercooler, VF39 turbo, and a 2004 STi ECU installed in addition to those mods.

My impressions:
Woah, man! I didn't think it gained very much power when I first mashed the gas pedal after the install, but in first gear I broke all 4 tires loose when began to climb past ~3500 RPM on a slightly uneven road surface. What I'm saying is that I didn't launch the car. I just floored it going 5 mph and once it hit 10 mph it went crazy! My friend who helped me install the parts couldn't stop talking about the tires breaking loose and the new found power. (but I must admit that it was 35 degrees outside, I'm running Michelin Artic Alpine winter tires, and they're inflated to 36 psi)

The car feels like it lags a bit longer [when I mash the gas pedal at low RPM], but anywhere in the RPM band between ~3000-6500 RPM the thing just tears @ss! I now have a 7000 RPM redline and the power increases all the way to redline whereas the TD04 turbo in the EJ25 would smooth out around 5000 RPM.

It strangely feels more alive. It pulls harder than before when I accelerate normally; kinda like it wants me to stomp on it. I'm really used to accelerating slow like a grandpa on cold mornings, but the wagon feels like it's asking for it now. It's like it is motivating me to race... more than it used to.

I had to refill my gas tank within two days (it usually takes 3-4 days until it needs a refill). I also reset the STi ECU before driving it off the garage floor, so that may play a part in it. I must have done 50 city/50 freeway in this past gas tank and I got to 280 miles when I was at 20% empty. I hope this improves. My commute to work is ~40 minutes in stop and go traffic.

My exhaust wasn't that loud before with the Bosal single tip. Now with the upgrade to STi status, the engine seems like it breathes better and I can hear it breathe better. So much that the sound has increased and I'm beginning to think it's a little too loud. It's noticably louder at idle, during cruise, and when I'm on the gas. I have to get used to it now.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Nice write-up on your newly acquired power! Congrats on completing the transition to the Vf39/Sti set-up, sounds like it is really making a difference!!

Jeff

·
Registered
109 Posts
mmm hearing that really makes me excited about my new turbo and 6 speed going on this week. u guys r lucky to have all those parts avaolable at such cheap prices cause we have only just gotten the 2.5 STi over here n it runs a VF43 turbo not the 39 so we have all had to do mods the expensive way.

when do u get full boost?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, fellas. I appreciate the responses.

To answer your question, oxymoron, full boost hits around 4000 RPM and stays there until 6000 rpm or so. I never paid any real attention to the boost gauge so I can only give a rough estimate. I can honestly say that before the boost would hit .8 bar and right after it hit .8 bar (~11.5 psi) it would taper down to .6 bar when redline came. Now it boost pressure hits my gauge at 1.05 bar (about 15 psi) and sits there until ~6000 rpm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts