Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2000 Subaru Forester S a few weeks ago in Colorado. About 220xxx miles but one owner, clean, well kept, all records, etc..:biggrin:

Changed the oil the other day and noticed the driver's side head gasket leaking a fair amount of oil. I figured the head gaskets would need to be changed since they haven't been for the life of the car.

Also, I can feel the clutch wearing out - sputtering when accelerating and engaging, and not engaging strongly when the engine is revved up.

I'm ready to take on the task of replacing the clutch and doing a head gasket job, but I'm contemplating a reliable engine swap for something with some more power. I feel like the engine is old enough that even after doing the above repairs, mainly the head gaskets, it will wear out pretty soon. I hear that it's best to remove the engine completely to replace the clutch, so I figured going a bit farther and swapping the engine wouldn't be such a bad idea. Any advice?

Jordan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,338 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the Forester purchase. :cool:

The one thing that can kill the engine is a failed timing belt. I'm guessing you're on the 2nd one by now. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts