Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Automatic
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed my second rite-of-passage as a Subaru owner, by swapping out my engine! (the first one was working out how to change the spark plugs!).

I purchased a JDM engine off a member of this forum (thanks, HotShot308). Swapped the intake and various assorted items from my old engine, replaced the engine, learned a few new cuss words, and it started up first time once it got some gas in it.

My question is, after running it for a minute or two, smoke started up from the two heads as the engine got warm. Not an oily smell (not sweet, either, so not transmission fluid). Seems to be a bit less after 15 minutes running (it was late at night; haven't tried it since). Is this just the engine cooking off the cleaning gunk that was used on the JDM engine, or is it something to worry about?

Haven't driven it yet - it's still up on blocks waiting for a rear brake job - but I'm happy so far, pending an answer on the smoke question.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
Congratulations on the engine swap, its quite satisfying to successfully install ones first engine.

Any contaminants on the heads will generate smoke with the heads coming up to temperature, but this leads me into mentioning you need to make sure you have fully burped the cooling system of all air. The older builds are especially tricky. Do you have a bleeding port on one of the heater hoses?

The Lisle radiator funnel makes burping a subaru radiator a simpler task.

Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Automatic
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I felt like a real mechanic when the car started up!

I don't have any bleeding ports on the radiator. I did get 1.75 gallons of liquid in there (50% coolant/50% purified water). I'll check the levels when I get in this evening. I like the look of that funnel; I may be making a purchase.

Regards,

Pete.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts