Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just want to say hello!

I recently got my first car at 27 years old, having lived in NYC for the past decade, I haven't really needed my own vehicle.

I got this to commute for a new job. I do a ton of outdoor stuff, hiking, camping, fishing, road trips, you name it. I've always been into cars but couldn't justify getting one so it's been always on the back burner. This vehicle is going to be my baby to do it all in (and getting to work I guess)

This 04 I found on craigslist was super clean considering it's age, and with <70k miles on it, I hope it's got a lot of life left.

So far I have planned:
1-2" lift (springs)
Roof basket
Exhaust (I wanna hear a little growl from it but nothing too loud)
Wheels+tires (looking at the sparco terras)

That's it for now. I go hard on my hobbies, but I'm hoping this one doesn't get out of hand (ha..)

I'm new to this stuff, my brother has a wagon so he has been giving me tips but I am probably going to need some help for the journey.

Thanks for reading! Talk soon..

Will

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,044 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
Go through all the required maintenance items in the owners manual and keep up on them.
Good to check that those things have been done.

You are not due mileage wise for a timing belt, but it is overdue time wise. Unless already done.

And pray that headgaskets have been done (properly) on it already. But if they aren't leaking/weeping now then you've got lots of time.

Look into ADF for lifts, or similar. Can't lift it with just springs, your struts are limiting there.
https://andersondesign-fab.com/

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the comments.

I have read a lot about all the nightmares that can come about from a busted timing belt. Is there a good place to buy them online? And is this something that I should look into doing myself?

Also looking to do the struts if I go springs, but have been looking st ADF kits as well, people on this forum seem to swear by them!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,044 Posts
@yzfr191 take a look at Jackie's @SubaruPartsGirl sale thread. At the top she has listed the different ways the dealership does this maintenance. Most members would recommend changing "all" the wear parts. The Subaru engine is interference fit, meaning the pistons will hit the valves if the timing belt fails = very expensive engine repairs! :icon_eek:

Forester Timing Belt Kits

Also, take a look at the discussion on this thread: Timing Belt Age

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,217 Posts
Timing belt, 3 idlers, tensioner, and water pump.

Also check Head gaskets. The chances of a head gasket not leaking are probably less than 25%

1 - 6 of 6 Posts