Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you carry a fire extinguisher in the car?

I just sold my old car and now want a new extinguisher for the Forester. Has anyone had any experience with Halotron type extinguishers? It looks like that is the replacement for the old Halon type.

J

·
0 Posts
I carry one of the inexpensive, red-colored, ABC rated ones that's about 3-4" in diameter and about 14-16" long that you can buy in any big box or hardware store. They come with a handy mounting bracket.

S

·
0 Posts
An ABC extinguisher is what I carry, tucked under the seat. Remember to pull it out once a month and turn it upside down to keep the powder from caking. An ABC will put out most incipient vehicle fires.

While we're on the topic, I can think of a few times I've responded to a vehicle fire or collision where the occupants or bystanders have run terrified from the vehicle, thinking it will explode. Cars don't explode, like they do on TV. And if someone is injured in a vehicle, leave them there (unless the car is actually on fire). Let someone with the appropriate training remove the injured.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Are extinguishers affected by the extreme temperatures in the car during the summertime? I've thought about carrying one for safety but have been hesitant for that reason.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Sexy Sally said:
An ABC extinguisher is what I carry, tucked under the seat. Remember to pull it out once a month and turn it upside down to keep the powder from caking.
I would think driving around would do alot for that, it's not like it's just hanging on the wall in your house. I could be wrong though.

·
Administrator
16,049 Posts
I keep an extinguisher in the car and have done so for many years - no problems with the heat.

I velcro'ed the mounting bracket on the carpet under my legs across the carpet in front of the seat. My rubber floor mats covers it over but it's within easy reach if needed.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,097 Posts
Sexy Sally said:
Cars don't explode, like they do on TV.
Maybe not quite explode, but they can go awfully fast. I once saw a car pull over to the side of the road with flaming blobs dropping out from below it. I slowed down, yelled to the driver to be sure he knew what was happening, he replied in the affirmative and jumped out, I kept going, and by the time I could see the car in the rear view mirror it was fully engulfed.

S

·
0 Posts
If none of you have ever tried to put out a fire with a small extinguisher, you should try it sometime. Hopefully, the type you carry in your car will buy you some time to get an injured person to safety or put out a small fire before it has time to grow, and yes they can grow fast.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Recently had the unfortunate situation of watching a Forester burn and the 2 fire extinguishers used on it did very little to even slow the fire, the certainly didnt put it out. Neither did the 30 or more buckets of water thrown on the car.

A small fire extinguisher would be good for a small fire, but once a fire is up and going they dont do much at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts