Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded to Carbotech Bobcat pads all around, Goodridge SS brake lines all around, H6 rear disc upgrade, Mutol RBF600 fluid.

The weak link are now the tires for braking. I pushed down firmly on the pedal from 60mph and was able to squeal the tires!!! Maybe I'll update after more miles on this setup. I just did about 10 60-30 stops and parked the car.

Thanks Roo for overnighting me the clips I needed to put in the rear brake pads!

No noise from the Bobcats. I did develop a nasty noise during my first bedding run from the rear but it turned out to be the dustshield rubbing the rotor. A crowbar and hammer fixed that. =)

The speedo needle is drops very quickly when giving medium braking pressure now!

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost went with the ATE blue then I read up on the RBF600. I actually have the ATE Blue at home but I didn't use it. If you're going to track the car occasionally I've read the RBF600 is better than the ATE. I would have went with the ATE if I weren't planning on taking the car to a track in April. =)

sirwilliam said:
Sweet! Can't wait to throw on my new rotors and pads...already got the SS lines and Motul RBF600 in:wink:

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I almost went with the ATE blue then I read up on the RBF600. I actually have the ATE Blue at home but I didn't use it. If you're going to track the car occasionally I've read the RBF600 is better than the ATE. I would have went with the ATE if I weren't planning on taking the car to a track in April. =)
I just went w/ the Motul b/c it outperforms the other oils w/ a much higher boiling point and practically every aftermarket shop I know carries it...but found out later that it absorbs moisture faster than others so will see what I want to put in at the next oil change.

Right now the SS lines make a big difference in brake reaction time but my rotors are warped and need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't know about the absorbing water thing. I guess after the track I can switch back to the ATE.

sirwilliam said:
I just went w/ the Motul b/c it outperforms the other oils w/ a much higher boiling point and practically every aftermarket shop I know carries it...but found out later that it absorbs moisture faster than others so will see what I want to put in at the next oil change.

Right now the SS lines make a big difference in brake reaction time but my rotors are warped and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
261 Posts
ZuMBLe,

So you kept the stock front rotors? Are you still using winter tires?

I know it is still early, but have you eliminated the rear instability you described to me before with H6?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, stock front rotors, just upgraded lines and pads in the front.

I am still running my snow tires so I don't think I can get maximum braking power to the ground. I'll do more driving tonight and see if the brake bias is better now.

F1 Rox said:
ZuMBLe,

So you kept the stock front rotors? Are you still using winter tires?

I know it is still early, but have you eliminated the rear instability you described to me before with H6?

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
What's the skinny on the rear brake pads? Can you still use the stock Forester pads or do you have to switch to Legacy or WRX pads? I know Peaty's writeup on Scoobymods sez WRX pads, but I just want to be certain before I pull the trigger.

I sick of my squealing EBC pads so I figure it's a good time to do the H6 upgrade w/ new pads & brake fluid. Already have the stainless lines! :)

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
mikebike357 said:
What's the skinny on the rear brake pads? Can you still use the stock Forester pads or do you have to switch to Legacy or WRX pads? I know Peaty's writeup on Scoobymods sez WRX pads, but I just want to be certain before I pull the trigger.

I sick of my squealing EBC pads so I figure it's a good time to do the H6 upgrade w/ new pads & brake fluid. Already have the stainless lines! :)
H6 upgrade requires Legacy/Outback pads instead of the FXT rear pads.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Coolio. Just need to find a vendor w/ the right price and i'm in! :)

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, the rear pads are the same size as the stock pads but the tabs are thicker.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
When you upgrade to rear H6... you can use 03 WRX rear pads... 04 WRX rear pads (which are same as FXT) do not fit...

·
Registered
859 Posts
We could use an H6 PN upgrade sticky. I'm sure it's around with some searching at NASIOC, but I hate sorting through the <BS to valid info> ratio there. :)

Hint, hint, Roo.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm still getting used to the brakes. It's weird. I put down moderate pedal pressure to stop and the pads heat up and start to bite harder?? So I have to let off the brake to make sure I don't stop short. Haha.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
Didn't know about the absorbing water thing. I guess after the track I can switch back to the ATE.
There is an awesome explanation in April's Road and Track's "Tech Tidbits" section. I will post it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I'm still getting used to the brakes. It's weird. I put down moderate pedal pressure to stop and the pads heat up and start to bite harder?? So I have to let off the brake to make sure I don't stop short. Haha.
Do you mean that, by keep the pressure to the brake pedal constant, the rate of deceleration is not linear? Or at least, not the way you are used to?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
ZuMBLe said:
I experienced the same thing occasionally. After breaking them in, I noticed that when cold, the Bobcats felt like stone until I lightly braked a few times. This was in traffic and not at high speed. After a few miles I no longer have this issue. Also sometimes when new, I would hear them grind a bit when coming to a stop. Now it is barely perceptible right as I come to a stop. Haven't had a chance to really push them yet but initial bite does feel better. Oh and I added lines and Motul also.

All brake fluids absorb moisture and I think as long as you replace it often or after you boil it at the track that brand doesn't really matter much.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it doesn't feel linear anymore to me. But I also added SS brake lines so. The initial bite isn't bad, it's not like the brakes don't work at initial bite. I would say initial bite is very close to stock if not slightly better. But you can feel them bite down harder as you keep the pedal pressure steady. Maybe it will be better when everything gets broken in some more.

I think for the 600 some dallars I spent it was worth the gains.

F1 Rox said:
Do you mean that, by keep the pressure to the brake pedal constant, the rate of deceleration is not linear? Or at least, not the way you are used to?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts