Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5i Auto Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5i Auto has a design fault with the rear door seals in that dust penetrates the rubber seals around the perimeter of the rear door and alot of fine dust particles enter the interior. Because we commonly drive on unsealed limestone gravel roads the dust enters the interior via the rear doors and recirculates in the interior cabin.
Does anyone who owns this particular model have the same problem and as a new owner can I claim repairs to the door seals under warranty? I look forward to your assistance!:confused:

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
904 Posts
Cars are not usually airtight, the old VW Beetle supposedly being the exception. The best way of keeping dust out is by slightly pressurising the inside of the car, usually by having the air intake vents fully open.

That said, the seals should probably be doing a better job so I would definitely raise it with the dealers service department.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Our 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5i Auto has a design fault with the rear door seals in that dust penetrates the rubber seals around the perimeter of the rear door and alot of fine dust particles enter the interior. Because we commonly drive on unsealed limestone gravel roads the dust enters the interior via the rear doors and recirculates in the interior cabin.
Does anyone who owns this particular model have the same problem and as a new owner can I claim repairs to the door seals under warranty? I look forward to your assistance!:confused:
Under those conditions, virtually any vehicle will get dust in it. You might have your dealer adjust the latch plates to force the doors to close a little bit tighter.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
It is interesting that leak only happens in the back. Maybe it can be adjusted as rear doors have a latch on the bottom. It's the bottom portion leaking, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cars are not usually airtight, the old VW Beetle supposedly being the exception. The best way of keeping dust out is by slightly pressurising the inside of the car, usually by having the air intake vents fully open.

That said, the seals should probably be doing a better job so I would definitely raise it with the dealers service department.
Yes we returned the vehicle (Forester 2.5i Auto CVT) to Subaru Service Department and they advised us to pressurise the cabin by having the air intake vents open which is rediculous in summer conditions as this compromises the recirlating air conditioning system and if you like to small of traffic fumes.
Anyway what the service department did as a band-aid solution to adjust the rear door latch plate 1.5mm so the door would close snug-tight forcing more pressure of the door rubber seals, but the design fault is the number of holes in the bottom of the rubber seals is ware the fine dust particles enter the cabin, there are simply too many holes for the cross sectional area of the rubber seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Under those conditions, virtually any vehicle will get dust in it. You might have your dealer adjust the latch plates to force the doors to close a little bit tighter.
Yes we returned the vehicle (Forester 2.5i Auto CVT) to Subaru Service Department and they advised us to pressurise the cabin by having the air intake vents open which is rediculous in summer conditions as this compromises the recirlating air conditioning system and if you like to small of traffic fumes.
Anyway what the service department did as a band-aid solution to adjust the rear door latch plate 1.5mm so the door would close snug-tight forcing more pressure of the door rubber seals, but the design fault is the number of holes in the bottom of the rubber seals is ware the fine dust particles enter the cabin, there are simply too many holes for the cross sectional area of the rubber seal.
Anyway we will monitor the dust levels in our fleet of vehicles for OH & S requirements. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is interesting that leak only happens in the back. Maybe it can be adjusted as rear doors have a latch on the bottom. It's the bottom portion leaking, right?
Yes at the bottom. We returned the vehicle (Forester 2.5i Auto CVT) to Subaru Service Department and they advised us to pressurise the cabin by having the air intake vents open which is rediculous in summer conditions as this compromises the recirlating air conditioning system and if you like to small of traffic fumes.
Anyway what the service department did is to adjust the rear door latch plate 1.5mm so the door would close snug-tight forcing more pressure of the door rubber seals, but the design fault is the number of holes in the bottom of the rubber seals is ware the fine dust particles enter the cabin, there are simply too many holes for the cross sectional area of the rubber seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts