Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS 4 cylinder
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloooooo out there!

I just got my new-to-me 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS 4 cylinder and already this forum has helped me so much. I figured I would finally make an account.

My friends growing up were all Impreza STI and WRX junkies and because I'm more of a garbage picking/camping kind of gal, I figured a Forester was the model for me. ;)

I bought it from a dealer an hour's drive from where I live and traded in my good for nothing nissan sentra (great MPG and awful for everything else...).
132k miles, $6000 said and done. Drove it off site and heard the classic piston slap and nearly had a heart attack thinking I had just made a huge mistake.
After some research on the forum's here, I'm feeling A LOT better.

So far...I've had to do some work on it but nothing major. Just bought replacement window gussets, cluster lights, and a cargo shade.
Next couple pay checks I plan on upgrading the sound system (mostly electronic and then everything else in-between :biggrin:), lining everything I can with dynamat to get rid of the rattling, and tinting out my back and trunk windows.
I plan on doing as much work as I can by myself.

Grateful that this website exists because I've already learned so much about cars in general!!
(Which is sad because I work for an automotive tier supplier...) :shake:

Peace <3
-Detroit, MI

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Welcome! Make sure the timing belt/idlers/tensioner and water pump have been replaced (105k service). If not, or if you can't verify that it has been done, squirrel some money aside for it asap.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
Yay, welcome!!! You made an awesome choice of car. :p Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours!

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS 4 cylinder
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! Make sure the timing belt/idlers/tensioner and water pump have been replaced (105k service). If not, or if you can't verify that it has been done, squirrel some money aside for it asap.
After looking into the average cost of this service...I hope the previous owner(s) have taken care of this. I had planned on taking it to a mechanic for an inspection and then DIY what I can and pay for what I can't.

$1500?...my poor wallet. ;_; :tissue:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts