Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have finally managed to get a nice MY03 2.0 XT in blue! Everything seems sweet. It's an 04 plate with 50k on the clock. Belts have been done but it looks like the pads and discs need changing. I have searched on here but am finding it hard to find a definitive answer. Any recommendations for a good pad/disc setup?

Also, there seems to be a bit of a mismatch on the tyre front so I am getting a new set of four (Falkens judging by the reviews on here).

Thanks for your help,

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Congrats matey. Pics....?

Depends what you want from your brakes really - stopping obviously - long life...good bite from cold...sharp as a button...cheap as pommes-frites..?

EBC TurboGrooved with EBC Red or Yellowstuff pads is a, oft-preferred Subaru combo.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats matey. Pics....?

Depends what you want from your brakes really - stopping obviously - long life...good bite from cold...sharp as a button...cheap as pommes-frites..?

EBC TurboGrooved with EBC Red or Yellowstuff pads is a, oft-preferred Subaru combo.
I am just after a decent setup to provide as good or better braking than standard. Are brembo discs any good? Cost isn't too much of an issue but dont wanna spend loads if I can help it.

Cheers

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
I am just after a decent setup to provide as good or better braking than standard. Are brembo discs any good? Cost isn't too much of an issue but dont wanna spend loads if I can help it.

Cheers
I'm sure Brembo discs are more than adequate but don't know anyone that actually has them. As I say, most peeps seem to go for the EBC setups for performance, and maybe twin with braided brake hoses. If money is NO option then have a lot at AP Racing setups, although I'm not sure what you can get away with under the standard XT wheels.

Don't know where in town you are, but if you fancy a trip down to Surrey give James a bell as he is HIGHLY recommended by us Surrey lot:

:: GRD - Greenwood Racing Developments ::

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure Brembo discs are more than adequate but don't know anyone that actually has them. As I say, most peeps seem to go for the EBC setups for performance, and maybe twin with braided brake hoses. If money is NO option then have a lot at AP Racing setups, although I'm not sure what you can get away with under the standard XT wheels.

Don't know where in town you are, but if you fancy a trip down to Surrey give James a bell as he is HIGHLY recommended by us Surrey lot:

:: GRD - Greenwood Racing Developments ::
Cheers mate, I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys,

Also,I know this has been done to death, but what are the best tyres for fast all year driving? I have searched the forum and found loads of info but choice is limited due to size. I wanna pay 100 notes max per tyre. Anyone had any issues with H rated stuff?

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
Cheers guys,

Also,I know this has been done to death, but what are the best tyres for fast all year driving? I have searched the forum and found loads of info but choice is limited due to size. I wanna pay 100 notes max per tyre. Anyone had any issues with H rated stuff?
get some 17 or 18 inch wheels and your handling will improve no end over 16 inch wheels and tyres , loads on ebay ....toyo proxes are a very popular tyre once you get to 17 or 18 '' wheels for £100 or less ....its all a matter of personal preference and driving style though to be honest ....some may hate the toyo tyre !!

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Am preferring the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas over the Toyo T1-Rs, but think both will will over your budget (£106 + fitting for 225/45/18s) unless they are substantially cheaper for the smaller wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts