Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
So I finally took the plunge and got a canoe, after years of just dreaming about it. Saw a great deal on craigslist for a Coleman Ram X-15. It was $200, about 10 years old, used half a dozen times and stored in the garage. It was a really great deal.

On Saturday I went up to Highland Mills, NY to pick it up. Anyone on the Northeast knows that this weekend was horrific in terms of weather. Winds up to 50mph, rain and many downed trees and powerlines. Basically the worst day to car top a canoe and a smart person would have waited. So I went up there and picked it up.

I have a Thule rack system with the Thule 579XT Canoe Carrier. It comes with padded L-brackets to grip the gunnels, 2 hull straps and 2 ratchets straps for the bow and the stern. Once we had it loaded and strapped down we made our way back. The total trip was from Highland Mills, NY to Greenwich, CT overnight then home to Glen Gardner, NJ.

Even with the wind whipping and the rain, the canoe carrier did its job amazingly. After getting used to having the canoe on the top of mah fozzy it became clear that the canoe was not going anywhere. It stayed put like it was crazy glued on. Awesome!

Anywho, here are the pics, sorry for the poor quality but it was still windy and raining this morning...I love mah Fozzy.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Great deal, that Ram-X material is pretty indestructable, saw one that had supposedly fallen off a car on the highway :crazy: and all it had was a bad case of gravel rash.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
We're in the same boat :woohoo: lol,

We brought home our new canoe last night, actually the previous owners delivered it for us as our Thule is on order;
bonus points for it being delivered on their foz (pic from ad);

Now I sit and stare in our garage.. and wait for roofracks..:biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,066 Posts
welcome to the club.
I've had mine for a month now... I am loving every moment on the water!!!

Nice! I like the Clipper more than the Coleman. What model Clipper did you get?

that'd be the 16ft prospector........ right mike :D?????

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
104 Posts
Nice, I am going to pick up a coleman very similar to the o.p.'s today for my sister. I am more of a kayaker myself, but I'm sure I'll get some seat/ paddle time in the canoe!

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
Nice purchase!!! I'm looking forward to getting on the river this spring as well..Now you need back rests!!! Cheers~

Don't those gunwale brackets rock?
Mine actually fits inside the basket..(Old Town Guide) if I take the yoke out..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts