Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although this is still quite bewildering in that it has been intermittent and how I stopped it! So have driven this 2010 since the last few days of March and basically right after it came off the truck. Can't get them much more virgin than that! It has always seemed to be in front of me, like perhaps even in the steering column. So after about two weeks or more without a peep I heard it Thursday night. I put pressure on the trim between the top of the door and windshield and that seemed to stop it. Friday morning it was still doing it but I thought it was coming from the handle above the door. I did verify that this morning. The hinges have play in it to the point of slight movement front to back and outside to inside (i.e. left to right too). Now you would think that immobilizing it would stop it but not the case. The only way I can make it quiet is to fully extend it downward. It doesn't have to be pulled down with much pressure even, just so it is pulled down. I'm thinking the plastic (I think it's plastic) spacer in the left side (right side contains the spring) must be the source. I might stick a small piece of duck tape in there and see what happens. The strange part is that it is an intermittent phenomena. I never touch the handle but perhaps from vibration the spacer is in constant rotation around the pivoting pin and only at a certain point it creates the rattle.

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
I just solved an annoying rattle that's been bugging me for a few years. Came from the back area, sounded like metal rattling, very subtle but very annoying. Thought it was the 5th seatbelt in the roof but no. One of my kids was back there the other day and listened around while we were driving and found that the rattle was:

One of the clips (there are 2) that holds the privacy cover (OEM option) in place was rattling. I assume all Foresters have this whether or not they have the option. So the metal clip where youfit the cover in place was loose and rattling. I stuffed something in there and the rattle is gone.

New happiness...

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going crazy! I checked the screws holding the handle and they could not be any tighter. Then I stuffed small wads of duck tape inside the hinged areas both left (spacer) and right (spring). Drove about 70 miles yesterday including uneven pavement and not a peep. This morning its back and indeed if I extend the handle all the way down it silences it. Observing the downward motion I cannot discern any position where there is plastic on plastic. As I previously mentioned, totally immobilizing it doesn't make any difference!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Noise in plastic between dorr and windshield

When my 2007 Mitzubishi Eclipse was new the air bags inside of the plastic housing between the door and windshield rattled and vibrated on bumpy roads. After awhile it went away. Maybe it's the same on your Subaru?

I just bought a new 2010 Forester and there is a rattle in the exhaust when the engine is cold after the initial high RPM at start-up in park. It starts when the RPMs drop down. I crawled under and it seems to be coming from the catalytic converter (?) downwind of the front Tee exhaust connection. If I push on it the rattle goes away. But then I thought it was coming from the point where the Tee connection runs near another part of the exhaust up front. I thought maybe the two were tapping against each other at low RPM when the engine is a little shaky anyway. It's sort of an elusive thing.
None of the shields are loose. After the engine is warmed up the rattle goes away. Weird. I'm wondering if maybe a new catalytic converter rattles until it heats up or something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts