Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year everyone!

I had to re-register (Hotmail problems apparently lol). Thanks to Peaty, I have returned. 8)

My wife is having a couple of slight problems with her 2003 Forester XS when filling up.....I will try & be a specific as I can & would appreciate any help & feedback you can provide.....

- The last 2 fill up's at the gas station (we have had the car since mid november & we guess we have filled it 40 - 50 times so far give or take) my wife's car 'showed' about a 1/4 tank of gas on the gage on a flat surface.......it's a 60 litre tank (15.9 imp gallons) so let's say about 4 gallons (15 litres) remain. When filling up (nozzle all the way in the filler neck with splash guard) one expects the nozzle to 'click' when near full.......instead, the fuel overflows & spills out all over the place, but only about roughly 30 litres (less than 8 gallons) is actually pumped when this occurs. This has happened at 2 different gas stations (1 shell, 1 sunoco) & the tank shows slightly above the 'full' mark after this.

Any thoughts or suggestions :?: I wondering if there might be a problem with the 'float' in the tank (with regards to how much fuel registers on the fuel guage) but not sure what to say about the overflowing issue. :shock: Other than that, the car is just awesome.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
About time you got here :wink:

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peaty said:
About time you got here :wink:
Lol Peaty....night shift is a pain in the butt let me tell ya! :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
In my (unfortunate) experience, overflowing is a problem with the gas pump -- the little air hole in the tip of the nozzle gets gooped up and it doesn't get the pump shut off.

Now, if this is happening before the car's tank is full, it could be that there's something lodged in the throat of the fill tube (you know, a dead mouse or something :mrgreen:), and that's a problem, too.

But those gas pumps are supposed to be pretty fail-safe, because this sort of thing is a big safety hazard -- how many times do you see people smoking while pumping? (Yikes!) HPH

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will keep an eye on this problem (again this has happened only twice in over 40+ fill ups). I worry that this is normal & I don't want to jump the gun & take it to the dealer for a pricy $$$ repair bill only to have them tell me everything checks out normal. Anybody else have experence with this......please share. :)

D

·
0 Posts
It's happened to me once also, I was mad because I had just washed and waxed the car and then this happends, Sheesh. :cry:

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Does the overflow always happen at the same gas station & pump? I stoped going to a particular local station becuase all the pumps overflowed. It was annoying. Especially when you're holding the pump open w/ your gloved hand and gas comes flying out soaking your glove. ARGHHHH!

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mikebike357 said:
Does the overflow always happen at the same gas station & pump? I stoped going to a particular local station becuase all the pumps overflowed. It was annoying. Especially when you're holding the pump open w/ your gloved hand and gas comes flying out soaking your glove. ARGHHHH!
No this happened twice at 2 different pumps......but I know one has to be slightly selective which pump one gets.....I hate the ones that flow like a waterfall when your just slightly squeezing the trigger! :x

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
I've noticed my FXT will fill up and stop, but do so to the extent that if you try to squeeze an extra squirt (even after a few minute break) you will get overflow.

I thought there was supposed to be expansion room in the tank/fill pipe to allow for fuel expansion. I have heard of fuel forcing its way through the fuel pump and injectors causing probelms.

Maybe this is relevant, though in no way helps answer your question.

-Shred

C

·
0 Posts
I looked at this thread because I thought it sounded similar to a problem I had been having.

Whats going on in my corner, is that after every fill up at the gas pump my Forester would run erratically. To repeat the symptom you would have to drive the car in 2nd gear at 5000 RPM for a few seconds, and then shift, and run the car between 3-4000 RPM. The car will jerk back and forth pretty bad.

I was told by the service dept at Mastro in Tampa that this is caused by overfilling. I would stick the cap fromt he fuel tank to hold the gas nozzle open (I know its illegal but i hate standing there holding the stupid thing, frees me up to wash my windshield) and when its full, hit it that one extra time to make sure its full. Gas pumps here in Florida get crappy maintanance and about 50% of the time the pump clicks off when its run too fast. Then you really do have to sit there and hold the lever so that fuel flows SLOWLY. It takes forever to fill up the tank that way.

I have experienced problems with tanks overflowing with just about every make of vehicle I have ever owned. In most of my cases, it has been 99.5% of the time the fault of the gas pump, again... poor maintainance.

Anyway, the jerky nature of my Forester is caused by the evaporator canistor flooding. It burns off after about 50 or so miles. I have been told to never take that extra click of gas at the pump, but then... how much do I trust these pumps anyway?

BTW I have been using only Chevron gas for about 4 months now.

Derek

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
I have "bricked" (ala camel joke) my last 3 vehicles including the current 03 XS Forester, but I also give them an approx 5km spin before getting home and a couple "zoom - zoom - zooms" along the way, so this may burn off that canister problem reported earlier.
However, I have never experienced any problems from the "bricking", if anything the acceleration is even better for a few kms.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally, (at least in the almost 3 months we have owned the car) we have not experenced any of the 'jerking' right after fill up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts