Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have extremely fickle cruise control? Mine cannot seem to keep a consistent speed even on the flattest of roads. Slows down then goes to ramming speed to get caught up to set speed then exceeds set speed and slams on the breaks. It makes me seasick and prevents me from using it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
219 Posts
Not normal. See your dealer. You can adjust the "aggressiveness" of the cruise control, but this sounds like more than that. How to do that is in your manual.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
17 Posts
Are you referring to the adaptive cruise control which will pace a vehicle ahead of you or the traditional cruise control you can override the system to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This affects it as well but is not the only time it happens, when car in front moves out of the way it goes into ramming speed to get up to pre-set speed, then goes over set speed and slams on breaks to slow down to set speed and the cycle begins until I just turn off the cruise.

·
Registered
2019 Sport
17 Posts
This affects it as well but is not the only time it happens, when car in front moves out of the way it goes into ramming speed to get up to pre-set speed, then goes over set speed and slams on breaks to slow down to set speed and the cycle begins until I just turn off the cruise.
Try adjusting the adaptive cruise control acceleration characteristics, there are 4 levels from eco to dynamic. If you have the printed eyesight manual checkout page 103. Or below is a PDF copy. I changed mine from the default (standard) to (comfort) and it's a much better experience.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/ownerManual/MSA5M1913A_STIS.pdf

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
932 Posts
“Brakes.” Sorry, pet peeve.

I would suggest having a passenger shoot some video of this happening while you drive. This is the sort of symptom that service departments sometimes have difficulty reproducing, and you end up going back and forth with them because they claim it’s behaving normally.

I’ve seen hard braking with ACC when a car moves in front of me, of course. And fairly hard acceleration to get back to set speed is also normal. But overshooting the set speed and then braking to slow down is weird, so that’s what I’d try to capture on video.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
219 Posts
A system that floors the accelerator ("ramming speed"), nearly locks the brakes ("slamming on the breaks"), and makes the driver ill isn't operating properly. More likely the OP is being overly dramatic at the expense of accuracy and hasn't read the manual (painful as that can be).

·
Registered
322 Posts
There's one thing my 2019 doesn't have, and that's ramming speed! 😛

That being said I felt it was too agressive at getting back up to speed after the vehicle in front moved over. I lowered my cruise behavior setting and now it's very smooth.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
592 Posts
There's one thing my 2019 doesn't have, and that's ramming speed! 😛
I'd love to go right to ludicrous speed.

Seriously, is the aggressive setting the default? Seems kinda useless, causing everyone to drive like a dick.
It would explain a lot of things in my morning commute..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts