Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to this forum and for the most part Subarus & Foresters. However, I've more or less have wanted to get a Subaru (of some sort) since I began driving.

So, I've been looking at getting a new car for a couple of years now (it takes me awhile to pull the trigger)--a Honda Element to be exact. Last week, my fiancé, after taking her Accord in for a service check, encourages me to look at Subarus (there's a Subaru dealership right next to her Honda dealership). I reply, “They're too expensive (or so I thought);” not only are Foresters not too expensive, but its a better deal all the way (after factoring out the eccentricities of the Element—which I like).

So now I'm convinced to buy a Forester.

I've decided to either go with just a base 2.5x or the Premium. My preferences are for the Premium (due to the alloy wheels and overall appearance upgrades, roof rack, radio controls on the steering wheel--let me know if I'm missing something here). I'm indifferent about the moonroof.

My fiancé, on the other hand, flatly won't consider any car that has a moonroof.

So here's my questions:

1. Does having a moonroof decrease the safety or increase the risk of injury in an accident (you know, like being ejected it from it in a rollover)? If you know of any resources for information on this, point me to them.

2. How reliable are moonroofs in a Forester? Motor breaking; leakage; etc.?

(These are all concerns she has.)

Or convince me that a base Forester would be fine.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Tommy

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
Get what you want, but I absolutely love my moonroof. She is thinking about your future children (assuming there are none at this moment). If you have a properly secured seatbelt on you at all times while driving, you wouldn't have to worry about being ejected from the car as you will be in a few pieces anyway if it gets that far. Food for thought.

Don't know about the reliability. It will probably outlast your ownership experience, unless you are one who keeps the car for 20 years or more.

The Forester has scored top honors for the government and IIHS crash tests. If the sunroof was an issue then it would have been noted.

Get what you can afford, with the Forester you can have safety and enjoyment.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,831 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search. Keep in mind, if you're into MODding, the earlier models will have more options than the later models. :smile:

My '07 FSXT that I bought last year (July/'09) has a moonroof. Like you, if it wasn't there, I wouldn't miss it. I never open it, since it's too noisy (to me) & to be able to keep the shade open, I had to have the glass tinted 5%. Without the 5% tint, it's way too hot when the sun is overhead! :icon_eek: As to safety. I'm sure there wouldn't be a moonroof if it was unsafe. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
As far as I know, the moonroof-equipped Forester models actually have an additional crossmember in the roof for added safety - so I would guess they're at least as safe as the non-moonroof models.

Reliability is another issue, however... the previous generation (including my 04 XT) had some issues with warpage of the moonroof frame which could cause the motor to burn out prematurely. Mine lasted 6 years, but now needs a new motor.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
The "moonroof-the-size-of-Japan" was one of the "wow" moments I had when I got into my Forester for the first time. That, and the turbo completely sold me on buying the Forester within 10 minutes.

I use mine everyday, and never close the shade. If I get another Forester, it WILL have the gigantic sunroof.

As for reliability, mine has been perfect ever since I replaced the sunroof motor (at 80,000 miles). There's a plastic-ish gear that was completely worn down on mine. Bought a used one on here for $40 bucks from a newer Foz and it's been going strong ever since.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Welcome to the group, Alloy wheels and the tinted windows were what really sold me on the premium. The ginormous moonroof, steering wheel controls and roof rails, rear reclining seats and the flip out cup holders are also nice features and made it that much more desirable over the base model. Who wants a new car with rusty wheels after 2 yrs. If I were to do it over Id still choose the premium edition. And to date I've had no problems with the sunroof at all. Get what you want and don't settle for less, you'll always regret it in the long run. :cool:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
If you have kids or plan on it, the moonroof is a must! They love looking out it while driving, and when parked at a scenic place they love standing up and looking out of it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the all information and helpful persuasion.

After relaying all of this to her, she seemed much more accepting of the moonroof idea. So thank you very much.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post (sooner rather later) that I got a new Forester--Premium.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are driving in a manner that allows you to potentially (through your fault or another drivers fault) cause your vehicle to rollover, you are doing something wrong.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,991 Posts
...I've decided to either go with just a base 2.5x or the Premium. My preferences are for the Premium (due to the alloy wheels and overall appearance upgrades, roof rack, radio controls on the steering wheel--let me know if I'm missing something here). I'm indifferent about the moonroof....
The Premium package is $5,000 worth of very desirable and valuable stuff for $1,500. If you don't like the moonroof, just keep it closed and covered. I leave mine uncovered all year, and open it occasionally on summer evenings.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,991 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
1. Does having a moonroof decrease the safety or increase the risk of injury in an accident (you know, like being ejected it from it in a rollover)? If you know of any resources for information on this, point me to them.
Not sure but I think that's what a seat belt is for...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure but I think that's what a seat belt is for...
When you roll over in a crash I would think his wife fears that the sunroof will crack and, in an effort to get out, they have to release the seat belts and get out trying to avoid the glass from the shattered moonroof that is now on the ground (which the roof of the Subaru Forester turns into the ground where you have to step. Or the car rolls over once but is back on all four wheels and the glass that didn't get thrown out when the car was rolling starts to fall into the cabin.

I'm sure that's probably what she's thinking. That's something I've considered besides something considerably heavy falling on top of cars with moonroofs/sunroofs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah I guess a meteor could crash through it too...
Actually if it it's a meteor you're talking about, I'm surprised it didn't burn up completely in the atmosphere before it fell through your moonroof (being so small to go through a moonroof) as opposed to a larger meteor just completely flattening the car.

Then again, some of actually live in downtown areas where things falling from above is possible. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts