Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Accord Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2017-2018 Forester. Preferably below 36,000 miles so I can add a Subaru Gold extended warranty to it. It was brought up in the Extended Warranty Price Paid thread that the car cannot be Subaru Certified to add the Subaru Gold extended warranty to it. If I understand correctly, if it's a Subaru Certified vehicle it comes with a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. How does this compare to the Subaru Gold warranty? Should I look for a non-certified vehicle?

I'm also debating on whether or not to get a Forester with EyeSight or without it. I know some of you swear by EyeSight, but is it really needed? Trying to justify spending extra money for EyeSight. I'd like to be around $23K for the vehicle. I think this puts me in the Premium trim level and not the Limited. The wife likes leather, but aftermarket leather can always be added.

Thoughts and opinions?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,570 Posts
Buy a 2019...far better vehicle on the new Global Platform and the electronics and infotainment system is superior as well. Quieter...handles better...safer and better all around vehicle.

Yes, EyeSight is great investment and well worth the cost:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
571 Posts
I would think a Subaru Gold plan would be the same coverage as Subaru certified. Can't imagine what "Certified" would cover beyond the Gold.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
I’d confirm with dealer. My understanding is a “certified” car only covers major components... engine, tranny etc. A Subaru Gold plan covers all of the same items as the initial 3/36 included with a new car purchase. So there is an important difference.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d confirm with dealer. My understanding is a “certified” car only covers major components... engine, tranny etc. A Subaru Gold plan covers all of the same items as the initial 3/36 included with a new car purchase. So there is an important difference.
You're right. Luke said if it's a CPO vehicle, and the dealer has the 7/100k warranty with it, then you have to go with that warranty. You can't put a Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty on it. So that makes me think I should be looking for a non-CPO vehicle.

On another note, I did see a 2017 Limited w/ eyesight at 40,000 miles listed for $22,691. Seems like a good price compared to other Limiteds w/ eyesight. The only thing that worries me is it is out of warranty and I can't add an extended warranty to it. Should I be worried about buying a car out of warranty?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,922 Posts
Wonder if the dealer that put the CPO on the car can add a Gold Plus warranty? Might be worth asking the selling dealer. Dealer might have to remove the CPO if that is even possible.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
You're right. Luke said if it's a CPO vehicle, and the dealer has the 7/100k warranty with it, then you have to go with that warranty. You can't put a Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty on it. So that makes me think I should be looking for a non-CPO vehicle.

On another note, I did see a 2017 Limited w/ eyesight at 40,000 miles listed for $22,691. Seems like a good price compared to other Limiteds w/ eyesight. The only thing that worries me is it is out of warranty and I can't add an extended warranty to it. Should I be worried about buying a car out of warranty?
It seems like there is some communication breakdown here.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/subaru-cpo-buying-guide

Luke may not be able to sell you an gold plus extended warranty, however it appears that the CPO can have 2 optional levels above the powertrain coverage which includes gold plus coverage. It also says so in the bottom right portion of the Subaru site.

https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/certified-pre-owned.html

I'm assuming this is only sold by the selling dealer

·
Registered
2014 Accord Sport
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is good information, Koogs. I will definitely bring that up to the dealer if I purchase a CPO. The Option 2 Gold Plus plan is what I'd want. I'd like all the major electronics to be covered i.e. Eyesight. I wonder how much more it would be to get that plan from the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts