Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this car in March of 2013. After trading my 02 WRX for a SRT4, then that for a 240sx, then wrecking the 240sx, and ending up selling that also, all in 3 months, I found my FXT on NASIOC. I flew from Orlando to Atlanta with my friend to pick it up for $4500. It needed some engine work, and with that, I took on the project.

Ive always been into modding cars, but this will be my first journal to keep up with the mods I have done. There will always be more to come.

Current Pic:

Plans
Turbo- VF series or FP 18-20g
Meth kit
Mishimoto Radiator
Retrofitted HIDs
Yellow fogs
whiteline end links
Strut braces
Sti scoop
Front lip
Plastidip camo green
Center console plasti dip

Mods

Exterior
Tein lowering springs
LEDS all around from SuperBrightLEDS.com
Motegi R7 18" wheels wrapped in Nexen 245/40 tires.
Grimmspeed Gold painted wheels
Independent fog light mod
Plasti-dipped front grill
painted calipers black

Interior
LEDS all around
AEM wideband AFR gauge
AEM ATF temp gauge
Panted center console panels

Suspension and drivetrain
IPT high stall torque converter
Whiteline RCA kit
-balljoints
-tierod ends

Engine
Swapped 2008 WRX motor (heads and block)
IPT high stall torque converter
Top feed deleted TGVs
850cc top feed injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Grimmspeed EBCS
Grimmspeed Uppipe
Grimmspeed Gaskets (exhaust, TGVs, intake)
Painted 04 intake mani
Gates Racing timing belt
Grimmspeed Uppipe, TurboXS downpipe, straight pipe w/ ISIS muffler (Exhaust sound clip Subaru Forester XT exhaust 04 - YouTube)
STi intercooler
Sti bpv, crushed
Air pump delete
Tuned by Romraider and I

Maintenance and project posts
08 WRX motor swap - post #3,4
4eat Transmission swap/replacement + IPT tc - http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/felix-forester-dereks-04-fxt-195594/index8.html#post3192713

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First things first

This is how it sat when I got it:

The rims were a little on the rough side, so a little plasti-dip helps alot.

After:

And one more thing that really irked me, the inside drivers door handle didnt work, so 15 minutes later...

Now to start searching for a donor motor while this one is on the way out...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was lucky enough to find someone nearby that had a EJ25 for sale with low mileage. My original plan was to find donor block and heads and take them to a machine shop, but buying an already complete and low mileage engine sounded way cheaper and easier. I found a 2008 WRX motor and tranny in Orlando, an hour away for 2k.

It was a tight fit, and with little dragging of the flaps, we made it home.

Doing all the modifications to the engine before ripping out the old one. As you can see, organization is not a strength I have.

Just before surgery, it took me around a week to delete the TGVs, Air pump, and other little things.

While doing this with NO shop manual, NO mechanically inclined people to help, and absolutely no people with engine swap experience around me, I think I did pretty well without breaking anything. Thanks Nasioc and SubaruForester.org.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to spice things up in my engine bay as I was putting it back together. Painted TGVs and a sti intercooler. I wanted to do a "sti pink", but I was getting to the point where I didnt want to wait to get Grimmspeeds sti pink matched spray paint. I tried to use Krylon's "watermelon"...

I would not recommend it. I put a black high heat enamel base coat on first, then the Krylon. As you can proabably tell, it turned into more of a dirty coral color, which I was not to swell about.

Here it is mostly all put back together.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a couple weeks search, I finally found my huge vacuum leak. It was the hose from the intake to the PCV, patched that right up and got it all tuned relatively where I want it...but not a couple days after that, tragedy.

On a drive home from in town, a loud squealing started to sound from the engine bay. I would think it to be a loose belt or bad pulley, but after I get home I find out thats not it. I keep looking through the engine bay because the belts were tight and it didnt quite seem like a bad pulley, and there it was. The timing belt tensioner bolt had backed itself out, causing the tensioner pulley to be at an angle, cutting into the belt and hitting the A/C belt tensioner. I thought I would just try to tighten it back up, nope, after 2 turns I snapped off the bolt. Well cool, not 2k miles into my engine swap, I have some petty overlook causing me a huge head ache. Now to go digging back around the bay to extract that bolt and find a replacement.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got some new Nexen tires up front. I was running 225/40s up front with 245/40s in the back, in fwd mode so I would screw anything up. All is good now.

I also had my drivers side rear bearing replaced, $330 at a local tire shop. That hurts.

Ive had it in fwd for like a week or two. Not really going hard, but man, I realize why I hated/loved my SRT4. I could easily spin the tires, and yes thats fun, but not when your not expecting it. After I got it back from the tire shop, put it back into awd, and holy crap. Huge difference. Its on rails. I missed awd way more then I thought.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plasti dipped my front grill as I was changing out my diff fluids. I came out pretty good, alot better then the faded brown-gray, whatever that was color before. And this is the first time I changed the diff fluid on this car. Wow, really needed it.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S 5 Speed Manual
49 Posts
Still learning my Subaru facts, what kind of HP/TQ are you getting with the 08 WRX motor?

You really did go through a few cars in 3 months lol. Anyways very nice, really like the black on black.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did go through a couple cars lol. I guess you can say it was kinda like "Bigger Better Deal" thing.

The 08 WRX is the same EJ255 block that the FXT comes with pretty much but with D25 heads instead of B25 heads (which are the same heads on a 04 sti). So Im guessing the heads flow a tiny bit less then the B25 heads but its basically the same motor. I dont have exact numbers, and I did do a air pump delete, deleting the TGVs, sti intercooler, etc, so the thing definitely pulls.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did some more changes yesterday. Finally wired up my serial port for my AEM wideband, just to find out I have no clue where my usb/serial cable is. While I was down there, just for the fun of it I also did the independent fog light mod and disabled my DRLs.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I didnt do the 5 speed swap. Partly because I wasnt willing to put more money into the project at the time, and I felt overwhelmed by just doing the engine swap, and I actually like the 4eat. It pisses me off sometimes how slow it is to decide what gear, but its still a fun little trans.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats what I usually do. Leave D when Im on the highway and pop down to 3 when Im passing people.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After not driving for a few days, Monday, I looked under my car to see a puddle of trans fluid and some drip off the transmission. It made me cringe. Ive had my history with transmissions and this is a time when I dont want to deal with them right. Right then I opened the hood to check the trans fluid. It was well above the line because it was cold but that still boggled me. I mean there is a puddle underneath my car. I drove around 15 miles that day, parked in a different spot, came out the next day to still see little drips on the concrete. Crap. Its really leaking. A couple days go by monitoring the leak. Today, I drove 75 miles back to my parents house. I parked it on the drive way, left it for an hour, no drips. Looked under the the car, I couldnt see any drips where as before I could see it physically dripping. I sprayed brake cleaner to clean off the transmission to see where the leaks are coming from but it looked like it just stopped. Either I just ran out of trans fluid or it just magically stopped. I plan on checking fluid properly tomorrow and check for leaks but its still bothering me how that happens.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
124 Posts
That forester looks familiar, im glad that youve put it to good use. Its Derrick the guy you got it off of. Glad to see you made a journal on here

1 - 20 of 134 Posts