Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 Forester 4eat
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the compressed thickness of the fel-pro mls head gaskets for the sohc engines? On the package it says something about measuring the gaskets you remove to see if they're around .026" stating that's about what they should be, but I was under the impression the OEM gaskets are .040" thick.

I'm getting custom pistons that are 10.5:1, but was assuming the replacement gaskets are .040, so now I'm thinking of just getting Cometics so that I know the thickness. Probably better than running the fel-pros anyway.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
Oem gaskets have varying thicknesses for different applications. The MLS gaskets will work fine, I used them on my 03 and I am not the only one on the site who has had success with them on their subie. However since you are using custom pistons you will need to check your valve to piston clearance so you know how much room you need for clearance and order your head gaskets accordingly.

IMO the cometics are good but overkill/overpriced for an n/a.

·
Registered
01 Forester 4eat
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm not as worried about valve to piston clearance as the fact that the pistons are being made with .040" head gaskets in mind. If the fel-pros are then .026 instead it could make my compression ratio almost 11:1. Pretty sure Wiseco has the clearances figured out, so that's why I'm not as concerned about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts