Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I'm researching a few possible next mods, I've read some and would love opinions today if you've done them of:

1 - upgraded tranny mount (i.e. group N)
2 - FswayB upgrade

The car currently has short throw, motul oil, shifter bushings for shifting.

The car currently has decent 17" tires, RSB and endlinks upgrade, swifts, a front strut bar, STi rack/bushings, subframe locking bolts for handling.

Thanks in advance.........

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Grab the front bar that's for sale in the classifieds right now. It's beefy 25mm, so if you are not afraid of that, it should be an upgrade. Depending on how large your current rear bar is, it may be a bit too big, but may be okay.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
My steering feel improved tremendously with the 24mm bar, it was night and day. I finally felt the Whiteline steering rack bushings, tires and everything else, before the front end didn't feel as tight even with good dampers, springs, strut bar, rack bushings, etc. Grip improved greatly as well. Only downside was ride quality not being as forgiving over rough surface.

If you only have a 20mm bar in the back, 25mm front may be a bit too large.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a 20mm STi bar in the back, stocker up front.

Definitely don't want to mess with the steering feel unless it tightens it further.

What's a FSB install like guys?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
It absolutely tightens it, it's awesome.

Install is a PITA, but not horrible. Worth every minute of it though, one of my favorite upgrades by far.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Stan!

So what mm would you recommend to match my 20mm rsb, is about equal size best? I don't want to swap out the rear to match anything up front, I'm not looking to spend huge amounts of $$$ here.

By far the best 'steering mod' I've done was the rack - but further enhancements will be welcomed.

Anybody done the 5spd tranny mount want to comment?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
Oooh, you have the STi rack too.. I'd be in driving heaven if I had one of those.

I can't really recommend a size because I haven't used other sizes myself. I can say that with my current springs, with front 24mm on the softest and rear 22mm on the softest settings I can feel the car push a little at the limit. With no other changes but the rear bar set to stiffest that pushing goes away and the car feels safer (I know people say "neutral" but I try not to use that word as it's a bit vague). This example is very rudimentary as I haven't played with alignment settings, tire pressure, etc.

Regardless of pushing, I can almost guarantee that the limit when it looses traction is higher than your current one and your car would start pushing sooner under same conditions. I say that because mine did with very similar setup to what you have now. So, either way, you should get more grip with a larger front bar, it's just that a 22mm front would probably be a better match for the 20mm rear then a 24mm or larger. Then again, there are other variables such as spring rates, height, amount of negative camber, tires, driving style, etc.

Check out this post.

Stan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
Have a 20mm STi bar in the back, stocker up front.

Definitely don't want to mess with the steering feel unless it tightens it further.

What's a FSB install like guys?
I started with a 25mm COBB rear sway bar... read upgrading the RSB was the way to go. What it gave me was way too much oversteer! I hated it. I installed a 25mm COBB front sway bar & it was night & day! It feels tight with little if any body roll on my favorite twisty road. :cool:

As to the installation of the FSB, more difficult than the rear, but not bad. You can view my FSB installation write up here :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
RIP 2005 FXT 5MT
938 Posts
Both the tranny mount and the FSB are great upgrades.

I have a 22 mm adjustable RSB and have gone through a stock, 22mm, and 25mm FSB combination. A 22mm adjustable FSB would work well with the 20mm rear. Purchase the 25mm one if you plan on upgrading your RSB. I'm currently running a 25mm FSB and 22 RSB (both on full stiff).

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I just measured my stock FSB, it looks to be a 21mm.

I have a Whiteline FSB which measures 24mm, I bought it used. It doesn't match up with the posting linked above because it's only 2-way adjustable, not 3 (22-24-26). On the softest setting, it feel stiffer than the stock bar did -- not sure what it measures to according to the table linked above, but it's very much noticeably stiffer than stock. I believe my FSB to be BSF36XZ.

I agree that 24f/22r is magic, it works VERY well for my car.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I've been researching this more, my plans have become as such:

a - 22 or 24mm FSB and new endlinks
b - tranny mount
c - dogbone mount
d - engine mounts

I think at this point it's all about improving the relationship between motor and the tranny so that HP is not lost in the transfer of power. From what I'm reading, b c and d above are the magic.

New question - any thoughts on the STi vs. Group N mounts? I can get the STi ones free with my Subarubucks, and from what I've read they're quite firmer but don't let in as much NVH as the Group N ones do. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
+1 on the bigger front swaybar. One of the best suspension mods you can do to a Subie.

Mounts aren't going to make much of an improvement. You can buy Group N with Subiebucks though. Don't think "STI" mounts are any different from stock. I'd go with the Group N parts where available. Less wear and 0 maintenance.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
skip the motor mounts if you cant stand the "subie wiggle", it really makes it MUCH worse. youll feel like the car is idling ruff...

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mounts aren't going to make much of an improvement. You can buy Group N with Subiebucks though. Don't think "STI" mounts are any different from stock. I'd go with the Group N parts where available. Less wear and 0 maintenance.
Huh? I've read up on this, heard the STi bits in question are much firmer.

skip the motor mounts if you cant stand the "subie wiggle", it really makes it MUCH worse. youll feel like the car is idling ruff...
Huh?

OK guys I'm officially confused...spent about an hour searching on all this stuff, everyone seems to having differing perspectives on NVH and wiggling and the STi parts...guess I need to just try them on and see for myself....:icon_confused:

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
nothing to be confused about.... forget reading elsewhere, i have replaced most of my bushings besides the motor mounts w/ groupns in my forester.

i did all three in my sti and felt the NVH and "wiggle" was increased majorly. the doors were vibrating when the car would warm up.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
The only Group N parts I felt were worthwhile were the front strut top hats and that's with stiff rates.

The rest of them are really a "last 2%" type of mod and really aren't going to make much difference for a daily driver other than the increased NVH.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts