Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. So, my daughter is wanting to add to our family Subie fleet with a new Forester Petrol, she covers relatively low miles and the 2k difference in price has sent her towards the petrol.
My concern here is that I've read several reports of concern relating to oil consumption on the FB20 engine fitted to the Forester and XV in 2 Litre petrol form. Can anybody help me out with any relative info as to whether a brand new car would be free of any previous issues or should i persuade her towards the 20EE diesel .... Jon

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,317 Posts
You should be OK as long as you get the automatic (CVT) transmission. The oil usage problems I've seen here on the forum have been almost exclusively on cars with a manual transmission. Perhaps that is because of over-revving that many might do with a manual.

I have a 2015 gasoline engine (no diesel available here), 2.5 liter, and have had no oil consumption issues. I've heard of none on the XT (2 liter turbo) engine either, but they always come with a CVT. The 2 liter gasoline engine is not available here.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Manual
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi RocketDawg. She's likely to want a manual, I will research what i can in the meantime and maybe persuade her that a lineartronic maybe the way to go.

This may well surprise you : Since the 2013 Forester came along in the UK, Only 200 petrol manual transmission cars have been sold. 360 Lineartronic Petrols have been sold and 475 2 litre turbo (XT's). Clearly the diesel is far more popular here.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,235 Posts
In the EU for no N/A 2.0 Forester or XV is known any oil consumtion issue. That problem exists only in the USA.
In the main German Subaru forum (it's a Swiss one as well) was never reported such an issue until today.

Admittedly I am no car technician but to my mind the main reason for that issue in the USA is the by Subaru of America required 0W-20 oil.
In the EU Subaru allows also 5W-30, 5W-40, even 10W-30 and 10W-40 oil.
In Germany the foremen of Subaru car service stations even advise against the use of 0W-20 oil for every Subaru model, the current ones included.

Purchase a N/A 2.0 Forester or XV with manual transmission for your daughter, don't use 0W-20 oil and everything will be fine

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.0i N/A CVT
90 Posts
Bought mine new 2.0 N/A in october 2014. Change first oil at 7500 km. Using Motul 5w30. No oil consumption at all.German and Dutch mechanics advised to stay away from 0w20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.