Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst selling a few bits from the UK300 on Friday night to a friend of mine, the conversation naturally steered toward the Forester and how I might compare it to the bugeye.
She asked the question "what do you miss about the Impreza, if anything?", and as there are so many different things that appeal to people, it really got me thinking. It could be anything from puddle lights to a huge new turbo, or anything in between.

What do you consider to be your best and/or favourite modification to your car?

For me, I loved the RCM induction kit I had installed on the Impreza. Gave a nice growl under load, and the eight-year-old child in me was hopelessly addicted to the fluttering when lifting off after WOT.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
601 Posts
Prodrive rear anti roll bar. Best pound for pound mod I’ve ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
Man, do I miss my bugeye wagon...I have to say with that car the two mods that provided instant satisfaction were replacing the rear diff carrier bushings and installing the subframe lock down bolts. Those two minor items removed all the slop from the back end. I also miss the BOV flutter, it sounded like the Predator. (Turbosmart Dual-Port)

With the Foz the step up to Stage 2 tuning and the STi exhaust have changed the whole dynamic of the vehicle. Couldn't be happier....well that is until I can convince the girlfriend to let me shove a bigger turbo under the hood.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,638 Posts
I would say my best modification is not really a modification but sacking Duncan Graham as my mapper and taking on Mark Gillam @abbey Motorsport and getting a full map . I sat in the car with him for 4 hours on the dyno (he has a proper good dyno suite) while he went through every nook and cranny of the LinkG4+

A really great experience .

EDIT: I can see this one getting moved on in the fullness of time .

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
601 Posts
Have you got the rear subframe locking bolts? I reckon pound for pound they take the crown!

No stig I don’t. I read the bolts were not for road use so didn’t bother to get them...but might have to indulge at my birthday. Are they easy to install? Extra harshness or nvh?

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,638 Posts
mine went straight in no problems, I have heard others have had difficulties . I did find a small bit of NVH but found it added to the driving experience more connected to the car.

You can always take them off if you don't like it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
601 Posts
mine went straight in no problems, I have heard others have had difficulties . I did find a small bit of NVH but found it added to the driving experience more connected to the car.

You can always take them off if you don't like it.

Just bought a set on eBay. Got them cheap too...

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,638 Posts
The only difficulty comes if the holes have crap in them, but cleaning them out is easy enough with a tap.
another difficulty comes if the holes don't line up. so if they don't precisely you will need alignment after or indeed at the same time.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
[Just bought a set on eBay. Got them cheap too...]

You are going to love them! I know it sounds preposterous but those two bolts make a world of difference. As to the "track use only" recommendation...I ran a set on my Impreza for close to 40,000 miles of rain, snow, and dirt roads with no drama. The minimal added NVH is far outweighed by the benefit.

·
Registered
2004 STi
213 Posts
Have you got the rear subframe locking bolts? I reckon pound for pound they take the crown!
I'm interested in these but the only statement that concerns me is the following part in bold...

"It is designed for motorsport use only & should not be used for extended periods as it may lead to premature chassis wear."

I'm not too worried about the "designed for motorsport" part per se, its more that it may put stress on something else and wear it out prematurely, and which bit it is referring to in particular. I mean if it means the original dampers then I'm not too worried as they have probably seen their best days already and will be replaced in the fullness of time. However, if its going to start knackering several bushes that need to be poly'd thus increasing NVH even further, then this £40 mod starts to not look as good.

Anyone have more insight on this?

For me, so far best mod was the exhaust, yes the remap was a mega difference in performance and has improved the car far more than anything else, but the fact is, the standard exhaust was so quiet I could barely even hear it which was really disappointing. The HKS has given the car an actual boxer soundtrack >:)

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
311 Posts
Buying a car pre-modified so i dont have to **** around with it....

Though still changed the suspension to adjustable coilovers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts