Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 impala
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a used Forester soon. Looking to spend between 10 to 15k.What I want to know is what is your favorite year or to say what might be the best year to buy. Let me know what year to buy and your reasons. Thank you. Hope to be a Forester owner soon.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,502 Posts
Good luck on your Forester Purchase! :cool:

Make sure you check out this thread on head gasket failure. In addition, if the Forester has 105K miles, make sure the spendy critical timing belt change has been done. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2002 impala
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobby, I read alittle about the 105 timing belt change and will read up on the gasket prob. thanks again I am looking at a 2007 with 42,000 miles on it at a small used car dealer near here. Going to test drive it this week

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Its hard not to spend the upper limit of your budget and not buy the newest forester possible with your funds. I know of a member who has a 2.5x 2007 auto that they are thinking of selling for around 15k. Location is near cincinnati ohio.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2002 impala
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are alot of Foresters out there just picking one that is in good shape is the trick. Buying vehicles is always fun have had good and bad luck with cars in the past

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
We have an o1 Forester and and 09 Forester.. I like the 01 far better.. Just better built and far less road noise but a bit more wind noise.. But like said before.. Spend the upper amount and get the newest one you can with the fewest miles.. Unless you do your own work and enjoy it.. Do not get in a big hurry unless needed.. But get the sn from the dash and ask the local Subaru dealer to look up any service on it.. Most will print out what ever they can find or have.. Most of the newer ones can be accessed on line if done by a dealer or even by the owner but not always by you...

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,502 Posts
First, pick the styling you like (SF or SG). Next, look for one with the lowest mileage. Low miles = less wear & tear... most of the time. Another plus would be the complete vehicle service history, but not even my '07 that I bought last year (June/09) had that. Sometimes you have to take a chance... :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
If I was looking at an SG I would likely try to get a model year after they started putting variable valve timing on. They're a tiny bit snappier.

·
Registered
2002 impala
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for info everyone, anything I learn here will help me in my decision. I am wondering how much better models with the VDC help the AWD system. I agree getting one with the lowest mileage is important.I also need to look into a cover that can be removed without to much trouble to check the timing belt. Any thoughts and info is gratefully put in my mind while looking for a Forester. Thanks again

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
thanks for info everyone, anything I learn here will help me in my decision. I am wondering how much better models with the VDC help the AWD system. I agree getting one with the lowest mileage is important.I also need to look into a cover that can be removed without to much trouble to check the timing belt. Any thoughts and info is gratefully put in my mind while looking for a Forester. Thanks again
All the Foresters have a timing belt cover that have a section on the drivers side that you can remove with 4 bolts, slip that section of the cover off and inspect the belt.. Kind of a common thing if doing your own work.. Its always nice to know what it looks like..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2002 impala
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great,snowdance38 I hope the cover is fairly easy to get to. I am not a great mechanic by any means but I know enough to get by. I hope I can get used to the forester engine, change oil and routine work. Hope to get one with less than 50k on it. Huntndig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts