Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine light has been on for a couple of days and is showing the following codes:-

P1410, P2441.

What are they please.

Thanks Max.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
both seem to related to the Secondary Air Injection System, try searching the forum, i found, one post related to those codes
P1410=Secondary Air Injection System switching valve stuck open
P2441=Secondary Air Injection Switching Valve Stuck Closed (Bank 2)

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me to come up with something strange. I think only 06 2.5 Turbos have auxilary air injection. It will be interesting to see if the warning light returns.

Incidentally why on earth does it flash the CRUISE and put on the ESP light at the same time? The flashing CRUISE is most annoying.

Max.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,578 Posts

·
Registered
MY08 2.5XT Turbo
56 Posts
It got to be this:
Five days ago I was shocked to see Cruise Light on flashing, Engine Light on and skid light on on my MY08 2.5XT with just 33.000km. After some 4 starts the lights on the dashboard pointing to some failure disappeared but I took my Foz today for an inspection at the Subaru Service Centre in Belgrade (Serbia) and what they found was P1410 code - secondary air valve failure!
It took two guys just an hour and 20 minutes to take out the valve, disassemble it and to put it back - they complained how difficult is to access the valve within the engine bay and I saw it my eyes... That valve - when opened was pretty wet and dirty - guys just cleaned the parts using cloth and sanding paper! They also claim that this problem is very common on turbos specially when driving in pretty rainy or snowy conditions and that it might have happened even before. They checked the engine status with the computer and no problems found.
I paid not money as my car is under 3 year warranty! Sincerely, I'm not sure if this problem would not surface again... Stay out of water!
Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
i said i would check at school and i did! anyway the codes are manufacturer specific and as such i was unable to pull them up on the software we use at school (alldata) as it seems subaru felt it didnt need to release them, but it seems i was right from the searching i did online, Secondary Air Injection System, during my search i found that P1410 is a toyota code for their EGR system which is where im thinking mark CSC went wrong, just a guess, your best bet is to go to a dealer tho

PS dont let the fact that im stateside turn you off, all the teachers i have talked to agree that the codes should be the no matter where you are

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all the your input, it looks like something on the auxilary air injection is favourite. I had an engine light quite a few months ago which went out of its own accord, possibly that could be the first code.(how long does the computer keep codes?)

Both times the light has come on I have turned the engine off at quarter warm and then restarted.

I can't quite understand how the cutoff valves could get water in, the air pump is very high up and only runs for a short time. Although I have just done a very wet journey to Manchester and the ford just outside my village is quite deep at the moment.

I see from the parts diagram there are two cutoff valves, one for each bank. Would each have aa different code?

Max.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,578 Posts
Ma,

Just to clarify, the secondary air system is fitted from MY06 onwards, so your 2005 registered UK XTEn 4EAT sports shift is actually a MY06.

MY06 usually arrive in the UK around about Nov of the preceding year.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Left hand bank as you look into then engine bay is the international standard for Bank1.

Simon

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,578 Posts
Thanks for that Don. Now to really test your metal, which is "bank 1"?

Thanks,

Max.
At a complete guess, I would think "Bank1", in this case, is the Right hand bank of cylinders looking forward, supplied by the front secondary air suction valve.(marked 14864A-red) on attached........

14864-green supplies the second bank (OBD code P2443)

Have just found this, click on the answer pictures for the test procedure pages.
It relates to P2243 unfortunately.

I have a P2443 code, 2007 WRX "Sec air inj. syst... - JustAnswer

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again Don, just found this which confirms your information.

Alrighty, like me narrate alittle bit. From what Ive read,
the black part with hose sticking out is the air pump.
It blows air through the hose to the 2 valves that you see in the bottom. When you get a cel coding saying you have a secondary air pump valve stuck open at valve "A" or "B", its one of these motherf**kers-yes, I hate them very much.

The valves are located on the driver side, under the intercooler.
One is easy to remove and replace, I think that one has the atmospheric sensor in it. Im not sure whats they call the sensor. You can tell by looking at the harness. Its got many wires. The other one only has 2 wires.
The other valve which is a b*tch to remove is actually under the intake manifold. So guess what, you will need to remove the intake manifold just to get to it. Usually, that one is the one that is seized(stuck) closed.

Max, in deep depression :icon_cry:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,578 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rght more or less decided what to do.

As there is an engine heater fitted and it is very rarely started from cold I should hopefully only get the engine light infrequently. The Scangauge I bought last week to read the codes I am going to mount in the ashtray. Then at least I will be able to cancel the flashing "Cruise" light and get the cruise control back. After Christmas I will try be be brave enough to remove the intercooler and see what gives.

Don, If I want to test the valves as you suggested don't I need the "Subaru Select Moniter"?

Max.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,578 Posts
With previous models, if you connect the green plugs under the dash and turn the ignition on the ECU goes into test mode and cycles various relays, solenoids and fans. From reading that test sheet the 2ndary air valves have been added to this test list. In test mode you should be able to hear them clicking on and off. (May need a long screwdriver to use as a listening device).

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again Don. What's the betting the improved 06 is different.

The screwdriver is a good tip from when mechanics were mechanics. Hope I'm not doing your age an injustice. :biggrin:

Max.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts