Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FAUCON's XT 04' Journal FMIC+VF52

Hi guys, I've decide to start a journal.(sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec, canada).

FXT 2004' 4EAT

Modz list:
-17' RTX ORION(almost look a like bbs, with fake bbs center bbs, dont flame me)
-sti stock boost gauge
-autometer Pyro and oil pressure instead of the ashtray
-generic boost controler set @ stock psi.
-modded hood latch to fit the intercooler.

Future modz:

- VF52(look like new)(why? newer, less mileage, and got a deal)
- Street import discontinued 9'' intercooler(will be upgrade for a 11'' next year, to fill the entire stock grill). Mounted behind the upper stock grill.(in progress)
- 2.25'' piping(in progress)
- 3'' downpipe(bellmouth)(in progress)
- Turbosmart Sti BOV
- Innovative Wideband
- Openecu
- Homemade Push bar

MAYBE:
- Turbosmart 38mm(already in tha house)
- E-cut or 3'' quiet exhaust system
- custom EL header
- custom Up-pipe

Table of contents :

DAY 1

Test fitting

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hood Pin shot; Made of 'hot-rod' hood pin. It's the only fast'n'easy way I found to make a latch without interfering the FMIC. The plate is in SS, for rigidity(the paint is chip because I had to reshape it)

FMIC test fitting(duct tape):

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Downpipe in progress. I'll only do the bellmouth for the moment. No time to install the parts and do the rest.:chair:

Piping in progress; I'll made the tight radius(behind light) in pie-cut. The piping is un-welded richt now(just tack) and will look good when done(not ghetto)

Headlight Shot:

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Im from Saint-Hyacinthe.

Why fmic? harder path. I've more fun making the piece then actually 'drive' them. Also I think the nose of the forester is nicier with an IC behind it.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
I was reading this last night and 1st off nice work.

Any particular reason for sticking with the vf52? I think I would have sold it(since they are so rare) and picked up a vf48. But with that said you seem to like custom work and seem to do it well so welcome to the world of custom and nice work.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was reading this last night and 1st off nice work.

Any particular reason for sticking with the vf52? I think I would have sold it(since they are so rare) and picked up a vf48. But with that said you seem to like custom work and seem to do it well so welcome to the world of custom and nice work.
Here vf48 arent so common...and except the compressor outlet(doesnt car since I'm going fmic) they are the same?
The 52 look like new(i'll post pic) and I got it for almost nothing from a friend who work in a dealer. From what I've seen on dyno plot, vf's have the same kind of power(correct me if i'm wrong). If one week someone claim vfXX make XXXwhp the next week someone else will claim XZZwhp with vfXY. So I'll stick with it for now hehe. Actually me initial project was a t3t4. But I wasnt sure when I'll begin the header. so a bolt-on turbo will speed the installation for now.

I'm in the process of learning how to tig weld. I've never tig weld before and I brought one 2 week ago. With all the piecut behind the light, I think I'll be able to make nice looking passes where ppl can see them.

If you guys want to know the pie cut are 15deg(so 6pie for 90deg). At medium distance, then almost look like mandrel bend.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More progress today(only a little bit). I tape pie, didnt have time to tack them and no blade to cut pie and finish behind the left headlight.
Sorry for the crappy pic.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.
The pipe look kinda messing(almost bad), but they are in there raw form. Once weld and clean, maybe polish, it'll be really clean(well it suppose too hehe). I've found another intercooler that can fit there(there's not a lot) and it'll not leave a hole in the upper part of the grill like it does now. This intercooler is discontinued, I've to found one used. Once it done, its easier to know what could fit or not.

To find if the piping could pass there, I've took a spray can cap that got the wanted diameter and made it way behind the light.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another slow step this week; bracket for intercooler.

The bracket on the sides arent bolted, but they'll where the AC radiator is bolted.
The one on the top will be attach where the original hood latch was.

All the bracket need a finishing touch(rounded edge). I think I'll paint them wrinkle black.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have any sharp anygles on the ic piping? Also, what are the diameters?

Nice work, keep it coming as its a joy to read.
Thanks.
The piping is 2.25'', I've read a lot on a lot of forum and books to find the 'perfect' size or 'correct' size. I've read a lot of 'i think', 'i do' and theories and suggestions of master builder(book). My conclusion was: there's no drawback of going 2.25 instead of 2.5 to the power level I'm looking for and the 1/4'' make a big difference where I want to route my piping.
As for the sharp angle, the piece are 15deg(so it take 6 to turn 90deg), it may not be mandrel, but I think it's relatively smooth. I lot of big/nice setup I've seen have 6pie for 90deg.
Here's a picture of passenger one's.

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FMIC finally installed. Now time for piping.

FMIC finally installed. The bracket are painted(wrinkle black). I wont remove it. I just cap the end with rattle can cap. Now time for piping.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts